Jordan Williams - The Good-isms

The Good-isms: A history behind the meaning of "feminism"

Welcome to my series of weekly columns on global-to-local feminism and activism, or as I like to call them, “the good –isms.” While exploring the past or present, famous or everyday people, I will take a look into those making the world a better place, even as close to home as our beautiful campus and community.

Welcome, readers! Welcome to my series of weekly columns on global-to-local feminism and activism, or as I like to call them, “the good–isms.” While exploring the past or present, famous or everyday people, I will take a look at those making the world a better place, even as close to home as our beautiful campus and city.

First off, what is feminism? We’ve all heard of it … all of those loud, radical man-haters, right? Well, no … not even close. As an English and Women’s and Gender Studies major, let me debunk a couple of things immediately: “Feminism,” as defined by the Merriam-Webster dictionary, is “the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes.” Fade to black. That’s what feminism is, and there is no need to make it into anything else. Feminism is out there (even after countless decades) for the betterment of the world for everyone, and I do mean everyone.

We hear about it on the news all of the time in a variety of stories, but what exactly is activism? Activism is defined as “a doctrine or practice that emphasizes direct vigorous action especially in support of or opposition to one side of a controversial issue.” Anyone, regardless of age, ability, gender, financial status or education can be an activist. The beauty of activism is the vast possibility it holds to put something good back into the world. Modern-day activists headline social movements including, but certainly not limited to, LGBT rights, civil rights, global warming and community service. Activism can range from public speaking and taking it to the streets, to petitioning and letter-writing.

Now that you have read this far, you must be wondering if any of this going on right here, right now in Athens? The answer is yes! Ohio University is the home of many organizations devoted to the equality, safety and well-being of all students and people living in Athens. Some places to start getting involved are closer than you might think. The Ohio University Women’s Center (located in Baker University Center, Room 403) hosts an impressive amount of campus and community activities for all students.

Here are just a few of the many OUWC-hosted events and activities we have to look forward to in the coming weeks:

Queer Women in Film (Wednesday, September 17th and Wednesday, October 8th from 4-6 PM)

Barbie Falls on Hard Times (Friday, September 19th)

International Women’s Coffee Hour (Wednesday, September 24th from 4-6 PM)

You can pick up an application to volunteer with the OUWC or an application for their mentorship (for junior and senior female students) for the 2014-2015 academic year at the OUWC front desk (hours are 8 AM to 7 PM, Monday through Thursday and 8 AM to 5 PM on Fridays). Remember to ask for the full calendar of events for Fall 2014, too! The OU Women’s Center events can also be found on Facebook.

I look forward to a semester of learning about keeping you informed of the amazing actions of countless men and women making a difference around the world and in Athens!

Jordan Williams is a junior studying english and women’s and gender studies. Email her at jw719111@ohio.edu.