Two Bobcats return to familiar course for added competition

After a strong start to the season, the women’s golf team heads familiar territory for two members of the Bobcats. 

After taking fifth this past weekend at the Redbird Invitational, Ohio will now head to East Lansing, Mich., for the Mary Fossum Invitational, hosted by Michigan State.

The tournament is a two-day, 54-hole event, which will take place at the Forest Akers West course, which is a 6,236 yard, par 72 course on the campus of Michigan State.

The field will consist of 15 teams, including big name schools such as Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State and Notre Dame. The field also has four Mid-American Conference opponents in Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Toledo and Western Michigan. Ohio competed against Central Michigan in last week’s Redbird Invitational, where the Bobcats shot a combined 47 strokes better than the Chippewas.

Michigan is also home to two members of Ohio’s squad: sophomore Hailey Hrynewich and Freshman Lily Pendy. Hrynewich, who finished sixth last week, is excited to be able to play in one of her favorite places: her home state.

“I love Michigan. It is my favorite places ever,” Hrynewich said. “Even driving to Michigan and seeing that the next mile is Michigan makes me really happy.”

Pendy also has some fond memories of her home state and is excited to see familiar faces cheering her on from the crowd.

“(Forest Akers is) where I won the Division I State championships,” Pendy said. “My family is going to be there and friends and cousins are going to come watch.”

Familiar faces and a familiar course should help two Bobcats this weekend, as the team will need to be ready to face the tough competition that the field has to offer.

This tournament was not part of the Bobcats original schedule, but it will be a good test for the Bobcats to see if they can keep the momentum going from the first tournament of the season.

The Bobcats tee off in East Lansing on Saturday at 9 a.m.

@PaulHolden33

ph553412@ohio.edu