Headshot via Ohio Athletics

Women's Golf: Hailey Hrynewich leads Ohio to fifth-place finish in Redbird Invitational

The summer momentum has continued into the fall season for the Ohio as they finished fifth overall in Redbird Invitational.    

Between five golfers and two days of competition, the Bobcats shot a combined 926 strokes (62-over par).

The Bobcats were also only a stroke away from third and four from second. Illinois State, the host school, took home the team victory with a score of 910 (+46) and 12 ahead of second place.

Sophomore Hailey Hrynewich continued to succeed as she finished in a four-way tie for sixth place with a three-round total of 227. Her strongest performance came on Monday when she shot a 73 (+1). Hrynewich missed fourth place by one stroke and was nine strokes away from the lead.

Junior Angela Codian also finished in the top-15 finishing in a tie for 12th. Codian shot a combined score of 228 (+12).

Illinois State also took first place in the individual standings.

Brianna Cooper, an Illinois State junior, shot a combined 218 (+2), with her last two rounds finishing at or under par.

The tournament, which was also the opener for Ohio last year, was a good test to see how prepared the Bobcats were for the season. The field of 16 teams, including four fellow Mid-American Conference opponents, was the biggest the team has seen in a fall season for the past two years. The MAC opponents included Ball State, Bowling Green, Central Michigan and Northern Illinois, and only Ball State and Northern Illinois finished above the Bobcats.

@PaulHolden33

ph553412@ohio.edu