Cassie Fait, AfterTaste Columnist

Cassie Fait 

is a senior studying journalism and Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies. Email her at cf301411@ohio.edu or find her on Twitter at @foodiefait and Instagram at @cassiefait.

AfterTASTE: Athens offers several Autumn-inspired flavors

Despite the bursts of daytime heat, autumn has settled into campus with colorful foliage and pleasantly cool mornings. With fall comes the two flavors I long for year round: pumpkin and apple. Athens restaurants have a long list of scrumptious foods that are old favorites, but with each autumn comes new indulgences to try.

Top 5 autumn flavors around campus:

1. Court Street Coffee’s pumpkin spice latte: If I become a penniless college student, it would be because I spent so much money on pumpkin lattes. Frozen or hot, these lattes prevail as the best in Athens. Fall has officially arrived when Court Street Coffee hangs their pumpkin spice latte poster.

2. Shew’s Orchard’s apple cider: I don’t enjoy most ciders. The overwhelming cider taste turns my palate sour. However, Shew’s Orchard produces a cider that sings with notes of the snappish cider bite and lingers afterwards with a fresh apple taste. I can’t wait to try it hot to stay warm in the autumn evenings.

3. Whit’s pumpkin pecan whitser: For the pumpkin pecan whitser, vanilla custard is swirled with whole pecans and pumpkin syrup. The dessert tastes like pumpkin pie in a cup. On the website, Whit’s promises they make fresh custard everyday. I arrived so early that it wasn’t even ready yet.

4. Donkey Coffee’s chaider: The rich combination of cider and chai can either be a hit or miss for Donkey-goers. Personally, I can only drink a chaider occasionally because of its density; the drink is more of a meal than a beverage. But when fall rolls around, everyone should at least try the unique Donkey classic.

5. 9 Tables’ pumpkin soup: This soup is certainly worth a lot of praise. It tastes like autumn — that same feeling of wearing a cozy cable-knit sweater and walking through the colorful streets with your sweetheart. 9 Tables’ soup is far superior to Fluff’s curry pumpkin soup, which can cause eaters to breathe fire afterwards.

Cassie Fait is a senior studying journalism and Women’s, Gender and Sexuality Studies. Email her atcf301411@ohio.edu or find her on Twitter at @foodiefait and Instagram at @cassiefait.