Athens City Police Chief Tom Pyle talks to responders after the shooting on Court Street during the Athens Halloween block party on October 26, 2014. Two shell casings were found and three gun shots were fired. The incident is still under investigation.

APD investigation leads to main suspect, identified as black male

APD's investigation so far has pointed to a suspect described as a black male in his 20s, who wore a hoodie at the time of the shooting on Court Street early Sunday morning.

The Athens Police Department said it believes a black male in his 20s is responsible for the gunfire on Court Street early Sunday morning, though there has not been an arrest made and the suspected shooter has apparently not been identified.

Investigative APD Lt. Jeff McCall told The Post on Monday that the suspect who fired the weapon has been described as 5’10 to 6’1 in height and of a medium build.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="6bd09f46-5ce6-11e4-9688-0017a43b2370"}}

The suspect, still at large, was reportedly wearing blue jeans and a dark hooded sweatshirt during the incident. Several police officers determined the description after chasing him on foot. APD identified the weapon as a 9mm handgun.

Athens Police Chief Tom Pyle said during a press conference Monday that four individuals were taken into custody for investigation following the shooting, with many being involved in a “two-group” assault proceeding the shots fired.

Each were swabbed for bullet residue, but none of the four individuals were charged with a crime.

McCall said via email that he can not recall a similar incident involving a firearm at past Halloween parties.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="07d4d68a-5cdf-11e4-9b58-0017a43b2370"}}

Security at Athens’ annual Halloween Block Party, which typically draws thousands of out-of-town visitors, might change after gunshots were fired during the event this weekend.

The shots, which officials said injured no one, led police to crackdown on partygoers as the Block Party wound to a close around 2 a.m. Officers combed Athens and Ohio University’s campus well into the early hours of Sunday morning looking for clues.

This is a developing story. Stick with The Post, follow @ThePostLocal and check back here for updates to this story.