Poster: Left Behind 

Athena Grand hosts religious movie starring Nicolas Cage

Left Behind, aka Nicolas Cage vs the Apocalypse, comes to the Athena Grand this.

Nicolas Cage vs. the apocalypse. For a select few, that is all they need to know to get them excited for the new independently-funded film Left Behind which is screening at the Athena Grand, 1008 E. State St., starting Thursday at 7 p.m.

“I would like to give (a) profound answer on why I am playing Left Behind, but I don't have one,” said Rick Frame, manager of the Athena Grand. “I am familiar with the books and there was a previous movie with Kirk Cameron in 2000. This is a wide release movie so that's why we are playing it.”

This is not the first time the theater has hosted an independent, Christian-based film in its theater. The Athena Grand hosted the indie Christian film Home Run in their establishment, to strong box office results, and earlier this year also screened God’s Not Dead, Son of God and Heaven Is For Real, just to name a few.

“I do think it will do well with its faith-based plot,” Frame said.

The film, based on the 16-book series of the same name by Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins, will likely bring a spiritual community into the cinema. But the lead actor’s less-than-favorable resume of late may bring in some audience members for other reasons.

“It sounds so crazy that there is no way that it will be good,” said Matt Serafini, a sophomore studying media arts and studies. “It’s kind of like a car accident. You don’t necessarily want to see it happen, but you can’t look away either.”

Serafini believes that, depending on his schedule, there is a “pretty good” chance that he will, indeed, be catching the Vic Armstrong-helmed film on the big screen. Even though he is a religious person, he said he’s not going to draw any religious interpretations from the movie.

“I look at movies as being different than religion,” Serafini said.

This is not the first time that Jenkins and LaHaye will have their messages brought to the area, as both authors have also found themselves in the past speaking in the area.

“These men are very knowledgeable and creative men,” said Pastor Carl Prokop of the Albany Baptist Church, who hosted both authors to speak in his church. “I enjoyed listening to these men and would be interested in knowing how consistent the movie will be with the details in the book. I know the writing was intended to be fictional, but details concerning the end times were based upon what truth was revealed in scripture.”

Left Behind also co-stars Lea Thompson (Back to the Future), Chad Michael Murray (One Tree Hill) and American Idol winner Jordin Sparks. Regular ticket prices will apply — $5 for adults and $4 for children — and are on sale now. 

@thewillofash

wa054010@ohio.edu