Athens City Council preview: Testy trash and nuisance party ordinance to see reads

Two of the more controversial ordinance debated at Athens City Council this fall have readings Monday night.

Athens City Council members will take another step in passing the long-disputed trash ordinance, a measure Mayor Paul Wiehl has said he would veto.

The ordinance is up for its second of three readings Monday night.

The council members will also move forward with the amended nuisance party ordinance, which would decrease the penalty for unruly parties from a criminal to a civil offense in order to make it easier for law enforcement officers to enforce the ordinance.

If the council members pass the ordinance Monday, it will only have to be voted on one more time before it passes in to law.

Several more ordinances will be brought to a vote for the first time tonight, including an ordinance that will allow the city to move forward with Athens Uptown Business Owners Association's plan to install perimeter lights along Court Street businesses.

Councilman Steve Patterson, D-at large, will also introduce an amendment to rental and housing permit regulations and Councilwoman Chris Fahl, D-2nd Ward, will introduce an ordinance allowing Wiehl to enter into an agreement with the city of Amesville to establish the Southeast Ohio Public Energy Council.

@wtperkins

wp198712@ohio.edu