Campus Chatter

Campus Chatter: Alden needs quieter study area

Maria Fischer talks about the not-so-quiet Alden Learning Commons.

When the clock strikes 11:30 p.m., I prepare myself for the dreaded announcement over Alden Library’s loudspeaker:

“May I have your attention please. The time is now 11:30 p.m. With the exception of the Learning Commons on the second floor, the library is closing in 30 minutes.”

That’s my cue. I begrudgingly begin packing up my bookbag, preparing for my move from the perfectly silent basement floor to the chaotic second floor of Alden. 

“Chaotic” might be an exaggerated description of an average night on the second floor, but the Learning Commons is not exactly the best environment to engage in serious studying. On a busy night, the closed-off study rooms are typically occupied by midnight. An empty table becomes a rarity, and sharing a space with talkative students quickly turns into the only option.

But I am thankful that I at least have an option. With the exception of a few days before finals, any studying past 2 a.m. was done at home. Ohio University, on the other hand, offers a place for students to work at all hours of the night.

However, Alden needs additional silent spaces that are open past midnight.

“I like that the library doesn’t force you to leave at a certain time, but I think Alden also needs to have at least one floor that is silent 24/7 for those nights when I am trying to study by myself,” said Lauren Berbari, an OU senior.

The Learning Commons is a great designated space for working on group projects or discussing textbook concepts with nearby classmates, but frustration sets in when students use the second floor for other purposes. 

Jake Vassas, a sophomore, agrees that the second floor can get quite loud and often distracting. 

“I’ll watch kids use the computers to catch up on television shows or hear a group of students gossiping instead of studying,” Vassas said.

Overhearing a group brainstorming ideas for a project is one thing, but turning late nights on the second floor into a social hour is another. There are certain places meant for catching up with friends, but Alden after midnight is not one of them. 

The Learning Commons should remain a place for students to freely work and discuss with one another, and Alden should also keep another floor open past midnight to give students more options for studying in silence.

Maria Fischer is a junior studying journalism. Email her at mf628211@ohio.edu.