’Cats end season in third place

Ohio finished third at the Rocket Classic to wrap up its fall season.

The fall season has concluded for Ohio, which finished in third place at the Rocket Classic. The two-day, 54-hole event took place at the Catawba Island Club and was hosted by Toledo. 

The Bobcats’ finish was the team’s fourth top-five result out of six events this year. Ohio shot a three-round total of 927 for 63 strokes over par, but was 24 strokes from the lead. 

The field consisted of 13 teams and included five Mid-American Conference opponents. Coach Kelly Ovington felt confident in her team, and felt they were in contention throughout the event.

“This team knows they can win. We were contending in the tournament, we were competitive in every field,” Ovington said. 

Individually, Ohio had a strong showing with three Bobcats finding their way into the top 10 on the individual leaderboard and another in the top 20. 

Sophomore Hailey Hrynewich led with a three-round total of 231 for 15 strokes over par. Hrynewich finished seventh for her third top-10 placement this year. 

Junior Angela Codian’s hot streak continued, as she carded a three-round total of 232 for 16 over par, which tied her for eighth. It was her second straight top-10 finish.

Freshman Lily Pendy was the final Bobcat to crack the top-10 after she finished with a three-round total of 233 for 17 strokes over par, to land in 10th place. It was Pendy’s second top-10 finish.

Junior Lauren McKinzie shot a three-round total of 23 for 21 strokes over par, which would put her in 20th place.

“I loved seeing so many people in the top-20,” Ovington said. “We have a competitive team. The atmosphere has been positive, it is helping us to take our game to the next level.”

The fall season is now over, but the strong campaign leading into the offseason will allow the Bobcats to get much needed rest, 

“We take a little bit of recovery time for the next few days but then pick up with some intense conditioning. We are still in season. We are adjusting some swing issues and in the winter,” Ovington said.

@PaulHolden33

ph553412@ohio.edu