Performers ride a bicycle at the Golden Dragon Acrobatics Performance at the Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium at Ohio University on October 15, 2014. The performers have traveled across the country and around the world.

City of Athens enjoys Golden Dragon Acrobats performance

Flips and balancing acts astound audience in Golden Dragon Acrobats show.

Hoop jumping, chair stacking and flips brought cheers to the crowd during Wednesday night’s Golden Dragon Acrobats performance.

The group was established in 1967 and took the trip to Ohio University’s Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium to be a part of the Performing Arts and Concert Series. Golden Dragon Acrobats is the only year-round touring acrobatic group in the United States.

One of the acts that received the most applause was hoop jumping. The men of the group held hoops up to flip through, higher and higher off the ground.

Along with these feats, the acrobatic performers took on chair stacking. An acrobat stood on a platform three feet above the ground and began stacking chairs, performing hand-stands and balancing acts as he went. He continued to stack until his chair almost reached the ceiling.

The group has performed on Broadway in 2005, in its own headlining show for six weeks. In the run, the show nabbed two Drama Desk nominations for “Unique Theatrical Experience” and “Best Choreography.”

The crowd was diverse, bringing in young and old from Athens.

“I am a Performing Arts season ticket holder, so basically I come to all of the events,” Wendy Merb-Brown, director of OU Learning Community Programs. “I see a lot of my friends here.”

With the acts and display of strength, balance and skill, the group showed off a array of stunts to wow the audience.

“There’re such a wide variety of activities,” said Logan Waldie, academic advisor in the School of Nursing.

@jenniferimel

ji760213@ohio.edu