Court Street gunshots most significant crime of the month

The Halloween gunfire was among the November crimes of the month

The suspect who shot a 9-mm handgun shortly after 2 a.m. at the Athens Halloween Block Party is one of the criminals named in Athens County Crime Solvers Anonymous Crimes of the Month for November.

The other crimes include $20,000 of industrial food prep machinery theft, objects taken from the Athens County Emergency Medical Services building and an assault that occurred outside of Domino’s Pizza Uptown. 

The release detailed a new description of the perpetrator from the block party; police say he’s a man in his 20s, 5-feet-8 inches to 5-feet-11 inches tall and of medium build. He was wearing blue jeans and a dark colored hooded sweatshirt that morning, according to the release. 

The shots occurred at 2:05 a.m. on Sunday just as Halloween festivities ended, and after a fight broke out near 31 S. Court St. between a few black men, according to the release.

During the fight, police say one of the men pulled a handgun out and shot three bullets in the air. The male who shot the firearm then ran to Voigt Hall but police lost him in that area. 

The next crime involves more than $20,000 worth of industrial food prep theft from Appalachian Center for Economic Networks. This is the second month in a row this crime has appeared on the crimes of the month list. 

Sometime between the afternoon of Aug. 13, and the morning of Aug. 14, suspects illegally entered the center and removed three pieces of expensive cooking equipment — two kettles and one cutter/mixer, according to the release. 

The third crime of the month involved theft from Athens County EMS.

In the early morning hours after the Athens Halloween Block Party, an unknown subject broke into the Athens County EMS building at 564 W. Union St. between 12:30 a.m. and 3:10 a.m.

The individual went through several areas of the building and stole personal belongings and tools, according to the release. 

In the final crime, two male suspects allegedly roughed up a Domino’s Pizza employee at 12 Mill St.

According to the release, on Oct. 28 two white men entered Domino’s Pizza at 1:30 a.m. after the business had already closed for the night. 

An employee took the two men outside and talked to them. The males then assaulted the employee, causing “serious physical harm.”

@Fair3Julia

jf311013@ohio.edu