Editorial: Farmers Market and Student Senate proposals unreasonable

The Post executive editors discuss the Athens Farmers Market's proposal for five million dollars to acquire a permanent location and Student Senate's $15 minimum wage and no tuition increases proposals.

We had Wednesday’s front page a pair of stories about unreasonable requests — one in the city and the other on campus.

The Post reported that the Athens Farmers Market is lobbying for the city to spend $5 million of taxpayer money for a new permanent location. Farmers Market personnel say their current location isn’t big enough to accommodate the number of vendors they desire. About 90 vendors attend the market, down from more than 100 in the past.

Mayor Paul Wiehl maintains that a permanent market is “just not in the city’s best interest.” We agree.

Although we’re fond of the Farmers Market, we don’t think a $5 million move is worth the cost. Moreover, it’s simply asking too much of taxpayers.

Meanwhile, Student Senate is also making a variety of aggressive demands. The university would struggle to adopt two in particular. Senate is recommending the university increase minimum wage for student workers to $15 per hour, up from the current $7.95 wage. It’s also recommending the university freeze tuition increases.

The university has two main income revenues: state subsidies and tuition revenue. State funding is decreasing every year; if senate wants higher minimum wages, how does it expect the university to pay for them?

Perhaps senate has thought this through. Maybe it has a plan for the university to pay for the changes they want. Not only does the suggestion seem impractical, but it seems like all talk.

Senate’s tone this year has been very anti-administration. There’s room for senate to disagree with administrators — something that is often necessary for productive growth. But it should stop making ridiculous demands and spend its time more wisely; by sitting down with the administrators instead of passive-aggressively expressing its displeasure during the weekly senate meetings.

Senate has the ability to make suggestions to the university that represent undergraduate students on campus. But so far, all senate seems to want to do with those suggestions is make a lot of noise.

They should make decisions that might bring about some change, not just attract attention.

Editorials reflect the majority opinion of The Post’s executive editors.