Editorial: Marzec should have moved quicker

Megan Marzec should have submitted her nominations for student representatives in a better fashion.

When Megan Marzec’s platform, Restart, was running for Student Senate this past spring, Marzec told The Post that she and her colleagues had been working for years to advocate for students.

“We are the best people for this because we have been unwaveringly committed to supporting students and furthering the student struggle,” she said.

Earlier this week, we reported that Marzec had yet to nominate student representatives for the 17 standing committees that have spots for student representatives. Marzec reportedly sent nominations to President Roderick McDavis’ office twice, but the first round was incomplete.

McDavis’ Chief of Staff, Jennifer Kirksey, described the six-week delay in having students nominated to these committees as “undesirable.”

We agree.

Given her repeated emphasis on making Ohio University more transparent for students, Marzec should have made time to properly nominate students to sit in on the meetings where important university decisions are being made.

Some of the roles of the committees include approving university curriculum and considering individuals for honorary degrees. It’s an important job that helps build student-faculty relationships.

We appreciate Marzec’s push for advocacy on campus, but she also needs to focus on the basic requirements of a Student Senate president — including the nomination of student representatives.

Editorials represent the majority opinion of The Post’s executive editors.