Ohio University junior Kristine Gegas chases the ball upfield. Ohio University clinched the victory against Kent State University 3-2 in double overtime on Saturday, November 2, 2013. 

Field Hockey: Ohio’s offense bolsters in 4-3 loss to Kent State

Despite dropping its second Mid-American Conference match of the year, Ohio’s offense ends its four game scoring drought.

Despite a 4-3 loss to Kent State on Saturday, Ohio established some much needed firepower.

The Bobcats (2-8, 1-2 Mid-American Conference) found multiple scores from Lauryl Desch and Ashley Cureton at Murphy-Mellis Field, as Ohio’s offense rejuvenated itself. Senior goalie Brittany Walker notched nine saves.

Cureton opened the game by scoring in the third minute off a deflection courtesy of sophomore Hannah Kingsbury.

Desch tallied two goals in the 32nd and 65th minutes, respectively, and was assisted by junior Adele Sammons and senior Caelyn Hartley.

Desch’s goal in the 65th minute cut the deficit to one point as Ohio had trailed 4-2 late in the second half. Despite the late rally, however, the Golden Flashes (5-7, 2-0 MAC) hung on to give the Bobcats their second MAC loss.

“We were right in it at the end,” coach Neil Macmillan said. “We had a great goal from Lauryl again off the corner with just under five minutes to go. We had some pressure, had some opportunities after that, but, unfortunately, we weren't able to tie it up.”

The matchup was littered with fouls on both sides, as 67 fouls were called throughout both halves. However, Ohio’s three goals ended a scoring drought that lasted the previous four games.

Earlier last week, Macmillan said he would attempt to switch around the lineups for the Bobcats’ next few games, as their starters played almost the entirety of the game Saturday.

In terms of conference standings, the loss places Ohio on the outside looking in for the MAC tournament. The top four teams are Central Michigan, Kent State, Miami and Ball State, which are in position to move on by months end, while the bottom three will not. Ohio is fifth out of seven teams.

The Bobcats’ chances to jump into the fourth spot are still likely despite their positioning. Ball State (4-7, 1-1 MAC) will face off against Kent State and Miami later in October and two conference losses for the Cardinals would improve Ohio’s chances.

“We put ourselves in too much of a hole to come back from but a much better performance overall,” Macmillan said. “It's good to know we're heading in the right direction."

@Lukeoroark

lr514812@ohio.edu