Jim Ryan is a senior studying journalism and political science and editor-in-chief of The Post

From The Editor's Desk: Endorsements help inform students about candidates

On the day of last spring’s Student Senate elections, I had a conversation with a classmate who said she cast her ballot based on The Post’s endorsements.

I can’t quote her directly some six months later, but I remember her saying something to this effect: “I don’t know enough about the elections to know who I should vote for, but I trust that The Post has done its research.”

The best part: My classmate didn’t know I’m a Postie.

After skipping out on general election endorsements last year, we have decided to bring them back for this year’s midterm. Our goal is to inform students (our primary audience) about which candidates have our best interests in mind.

We’re publishing them today, four days ahead of Election Day, so students can read up and do their own research before casting their ballots. 

At the very least, these endorsements serve as yet another reminder that students should read up and get ready to vote. Our votes are important. 

I would also like to thank the candidates who took the time to stop by our offices or contact our executive editors over the phone. Their cooperation was integral in putting this endorsement package together, and we’re glad we were able to speak with so many of the candidates on this year’s ballot (They also made time for us on a tight time schedule, which we greatly appreciate).

These endorsements exemplify The Post’s fundamental mission of informing our readers about the world around them. I hope they’re helpful as you all prepare to head to the polls.

As always, thanks for reading.

Jim Ryan is a senior studying journalism and political science and editor-in-chief of The Post. Glad to read our election endorsements? Think we got it all wrong? Contact him at jr992810@ohio.edu or on Twitter at @Jimryan015.