Mat Hall, second year grad student, attends the Pink Tie Affair put on by the Interfraternity Council. The IFC handed out pink bowties and ribbons to all who attended the event to help raise awareness during Breast Cancer Awareness Month. 

IFC hosts ‘Pink Tie Affair’ for breast cancer

Ohio University’s Interfraternity Council hosted their first annual “Pink Tie Affair” Monday night in an effort to raise money for breast cancer research and to assist those affected by the disease.

IFC held the event in Nelson Hall’s banquet room at 6 p.m. and anticipated 125 would attend, said Tyler White, vice president of service and philanthropy for the IFC and event organizer. Tickets were priced at $25 per person.

“We were planning the event since mid-September, right after recruitment ended,” said Andrew Kroeze, the president of IFC.

Through the month of October, the IFC board raised “a little over $2,000” and promoted the dinner to try and increase that figure, White said.

“One hundred percent of the proceeds go to the Stefanie Spielman Foundation,” White said. “The organization has two different parts: half of the money raised goes to breast cancer research and the other half goes to patient assistance like meal cards, gas cards, hotel rooms, off-setting treatment costs, and more.”

After the attendees ate at their tables, White introduced the main speaker for the event.

Anita Grant, a two-time cancer survivor who is fighting the disease a third time, gave the main presentation of the evening. Grant is a librarian at Alden Library and has worked at OU for 23 years.

During her speech, she detailed her nine-year battle with the disease and giving tips to take preventive measures such as eating less sugar, staying fit and doing research on the topic.

“This is my purpose and I’m glad I have the opportunity to share my story with everyone, because I need to tell it,” Grant said. “I am a survivor, but I’m more of a fighter.”

Along with the IFC board and greek life faculty, many members of fraternities and sororities attended the event.

The IFC will continue to accept donations for the Stefanie Spielman Foundation in Baker University Center 330 until next Monday. Pink bowties can also be purchased there for $10 with the proceeds going to the foundation, as well.

@LUKEFURMANOU

LF491413@ohio.edu