Joshua Jamerson, senior editor at The Post, writes a weekly column for Wednesday's newspaper.

Is there a possibility of Ebola in Athens?

Local health officials have said the answer is: yes, anything is possible — but in this case, it is very, very unlikely.

American media is in a weird place right now.

Ask too few questions or write too few stories about Ebola and, in the very unlikely case of an outbreak, folks will say journalists failed their public watchdog responsibilities of holding officials accountable.

Ask too many questions, write too many stories and put too much pressure on government and public health officials and, in the case there is no outbreak, the media will be called sensationalizing, ratings-seeking alarmists who can’t be trusted to play it straight.

So, dear reader, walk this fine line with me, as I attempt to answer a simple yet relevant question: Is there a possibility of Ebola in Athens?

Local health officials have said anything is possible — but in this case, it is very, very unlikely.

That’s because certain forms of direct contact spread the virus and it is not airborne, said Dr. James Gaskell, director of the Athens City-County Health Department.

“If you’re not coming from one of these countries where Ebola is breaking out — and it’s only hitting (some African nations) hard because they don’t have the same health infrastructure and protocols that we do — and you haven’t been in direct contact with the people (in the U.S.) who have it, then you pretty much cannot get this virus,” Gaskell said.

Yes, one nurse from Texas, who aided the Liberian man who died at a Dallas hospital this month, recently visited the Akron area. So far, several people have been quarantined and are waiting out the 21-day incubation period to see if they develop Ebola symptoms. After that period, it’s fairly safe to say Ohio is in the clear, Gaskell said.

But in the meantime, the Athens area seems to have beefed up its response efforts with some impressive proactive measures — partly thanks to O’Bleness Memorial Hospital’s partnership with the Columbus-based OhioHealth system.

The local response

Dr. Michael Clark, vice president of medical affairs for O’Bleness, said the hospital staff has received training from OhioHealth’s “incident command center” in Columbus. A team from Columbus visited the Athens hospital this week.

All caregivers — nurses, doctors, etc. — have been going through training exercises, which include putting on and taking off protective equipment, since August, said Sydney Webber, an O’Bleness spokeswoman. She said the hospital received personal protective equipment from OhioHealth’s “stockpiles.”

Without giving a specific number, Clark said the hospital has enough suits to use for training and in case the hospital gets a positive screen.

He said in the highly unlikely event that Ebola spreads to Athens, the virus should be better contained than it was in the Texas case.

In addition, local health and Ohio University officials will meet Wednesday to discuss Ebola and this region’s readiness to fight it — should it pop up.

How to respond to an unlikely situation

If you feel you have Ebola — which is, again, only possible through direct contact with someone who has it, infected animals or contaminated objects such as syringes — local authorities are asking that you notify 9-1-1 as soon as possible. 

Local health officials, including EMS and O’Bleness caregivers, have been or are being trained to run down a checklist of symptoms over the phone and in the emergency room to try to identify true cases.

“If someone would meet a double set of standards — symptoms, and been in contact with someone who has it — the best thing for them to do is, if they are going directly to the hospital or they are going to call us, that they let us or the hospital know as soon as possible,” said Rick Callebs, chief of Athens County EMS. “Someone will probably review checklist of the symptoms with them over the phone or in the hospital.”

Resist the urge to panic

It seems like the local health authorities are trying to stay ahead of the game rather than worrying about Ebola after someone brings it to Athens. But you shouldn’t link their apparent readiness to a higher probability of the disease coming here.

It seems like the university and the local health community are preparing not because they’re worried about the virus coming here — but because they’re worried about not being prepared should it actually come.

“There’s going to be panic,” Callebs said. “The first time someone has a fever or vomits, they’re going to think they have Ebola. That’s a lot of what we’re seeing nationwide right now.

“But keep in mind, there’s not even an active case anywhere in the state right now.”

@joshjame

jj360410@ohio.edu