Wide receiver Sebastian Smith reaches for and recovers a ball that almost got knocked from his hands. 

Live Notebook: Ohio vs. Akron

Ohio kicks off against Akron at 2 p.m.

FINAL

Akron              20   

OHIO               23

Top Performers

Akron

Passing: Woodson — 23/45, 268 yds., 2 TD, INT

Rushing: Woodson — 12 att., 44 yds.

Receiving: D'Orazio — 8 rec., 108 yds., TD

OHIO

Passing: Sprague — 17/37, 197 yds., 2 TD, INT

Rushing: Ouellette — 23 att., 74 yds.

Receiving: Reid — 4 rec., 57 yds.

4th Quarter

:59: Josh Kristoff intercepted Woodson's pass, sealing the game for Ohio.

1:55: Yazdani hit a 22-yard field goal. Akron 20, OHIO 23

3:39: Devin Bass forced a fumble on a reception by Andrew Pratt, Jovon Johnson scooped it up and returned it to the Akron 21-yard line.

13:16: Stein made a 38-yard field goal to tie the game at 20. Akron 20, OHIO 20

3rd Quarter

5:48: Sprague hit a wide-open AJ Ouellette for a 3-yard touchdown pass. PAT good by Yazdani. Akron 17, OHIO 20

8:25: Woodson hit Zach D'Orazio on a 13-yard touchdown pass. PAT good by Stein. Akron 17, OHIO 13

11:22: John Senter intercepted a long-ball throw by Sprague, intended for Landon Smith.

1st Half Analysis

That was truly the battle of the backups in the first half. Both Woodson and Sprague had moments of shakiness, which doesn't bode well for the offenses. Woodson threw about 10 near-interception passes, but when he tucked the ball and ran, he looked threatening to the Bobcats defense. He's very confident and smart in the pocket, so Ohio will need to stay stuck on him in the second half and contain his runs.

For Ohio's offense, Sprague started the game gunning, with his 48-yard touchdown pass. Since then, it's been a lot of short passes and runs, but if Sprague gets some running room, he definitely has the ability to break one off for a score. In my eyes, they need to start going deep more, because Spague looks more confident in thise throws. That's how they will beat the Zips.

First Half Leaders:

Passing: Sprague (OHIO) — 10/16, 122 yds., TD

Rushing: Sprague (OHIO) — 4 att., 52 yds.

Receiving: Dixon (OHIO) — 1 rec., 49 yds., TD

2nd Quarter

:00: Yazdani hit a 38-yard field goal to end the half. Akron 10, OHIO 13

4:50: Stein made a 40-yard field goal. Akron 10, OHIO 10

6:59: Ohio took the lead as Yazdani hit a 42-yard field goal. Akron 7, OHIO 10

1st Quarter

2:12: Isiah Williams was disqualified from the game after a flagrant personal foul.

9:48: Tommy Woodson hit Conor Hundley with a pass for a 10-yard touchdown. PAT good by Robert Stein. Akron 7, OHIO 7

13:10: On a four-play opening drive, JD Sprague found Ian Dixon down the sideline for a 49-yard touchdown pass. PAT good by Josiah Yazdani. Akron 0, OHIO 7

Pre-game

This week features the battle of the backups, as Akron (4-2, 2-0 Mid-American Conference) visits Ohio (3-4, 1-2 MAC). 

The Bobcats came into Saturday following a two-game skid after starting the season 3-2. Ohio is still without Derrius Vick at quarterback and JD Sprague will make his fourth career start under center.

Akron hasn't beat Ohio in the past six years and this year's matchup in Athens became even tougher after starting quarterback Tyler Pohl was hurt last weekend and will not play due to a concussion. Tommy Woodson, a redshirt freshman, will start in his place.

This season, Woodson has thrown for 305 yards and two touchdowns, along with adding 67 yards on the ground.