Ohio University Student Senate votes to rid itself of Robert’s Rules

Student Senate suspends Roberts Rules, will follow procedures of the Canadian Student Federation Rules

Ohio University’s Student Senate will now operate without its traditional rules of order — Robert’s Rules — as senate, in a vote to suspend the rules, decided that those procedures limit student discourse.

Senate came to the conclusion that the rules were confusing to students wishing to express their opinion, and that the procedure prevented the meeting from running as smooth as possible.

“More voting members would only benefit the body,” Student Senate President Megan Marzec said.

The body voted to indefinitely suspend Robert’s Rules and follow procedures of the Canadian Student Federation Rules.

The suspension of Robert’s Rules will “allow proposals to be passed or shot down based on their own merits,” without determining whether or not it is allowed according to the rules, Nathan Sulecki, the Honors Tutorial College senator, said.

Also at the meeting, senate passed a resolution to condemn the removal of sanction restrictions from the student code of conduct.

Senate noted its belief that removal of sanctions on B-level restrictions will cause students to “lose their rights, due process protections, and the peace of mind to which they are entitled,” according to text of the resolution.

A presentation on Ohio University’s global strategy was given by Dr. Lorna Edmonds, vice provost for Global Affairs.

“Get Engaged,” was Edmonds simple advice to students, stressing the importance of global awareness.

Senate expressed a desire to add more senators to the Women’s Affairs Commission and others, such as the LGBTQA commission.

This discussion took the place of the resolution to add senators to the Women’s Affairs Commission. Commissioners will be writing resolutions with their recommendations of the number that should be added to each commission.

Also at the meeting, during Student SpeakOUt, a male student — whose name The Post could not verify — declared that he does not support F--k Rape Culture because he believes that “the objectification of women is a bigger problem than rape.”

The student refused to take questions and immediately left the room after his speech.

During the meeting, Madison Koenig, the women’s affairs commissioner, tweeted “If you’re going to come and lecture us on why @OUfckrapeculture is wrong maybe stick around to have a conversation?” from her personal Twitter account.

@mayganbeeler

mb076912@ohio.edu