Sports Column: Royals postseason mirrors ‘Rocktober,’ but better

The 2007 Rockies pulled of a miracle run to the World Series, just like the Royals. But what happens if the Royals end up losing, if it is anything like the Rockies, the team’s run may fall on deaf ears.

The World Series could end tonight as the San Francisco Giants only need one more win against the Kansas City Royals to clinch their third World Series in the past five years.

The Royals were the team that the nation was rooting for after their miracle run to the World Series, sweeping teams that stood in their way in the American League Division Series and American League Championship Series. The Royals then quickly found themselves on an extended rest period, while the Giants were building their hot streak as they battled the Cardinals.

This year, the Giants entered the World Series with Madison Bumgarner who is throwing one of the best postseason in MLB history. Does that sound familiar?

In 2007, the Colorado Rockies needed 14 wins in their final 15 regular season games to make the postseason. They did that. The Rockies then went on to beat the San Diego Padres in a one-game playoff and swept their way to the World Series. They then had to rest for seven days while the Boston Red Sox and the Cleveland Indians were in the midst of a 3-1 series in the ALCS. The Red Sox came back, gained momentum and Josh Beckett was fresh off winning the ALCS MVP. The Red Sox would sweep the Rockies and my Game 5 seats would go right into the trash.

The Royals have already improved on the Rockies’ run, by winning two games in the World Series, but the similarities are important to highlight. If the Royals don’t pull off the comeback, this Royals team could end up just like the 2007 Rockies — ignored. After the devastating loss in the World Series, the Rockies players and season fell off the map of professional sports. Matt Holliday lost the regular season MVP, Troy Tulowitzki didn’t win Rookie of the Year and Todd Helton, as well as Tulowitzki, both did not win a Gold Glove. The feat of winning 21-22 games to make it to the World Series, as well as being one of the most exciting times to be in Denver, never truly got the coverage it deserved.

The same might could be said for the Royals. A small market team with few big names playing in a championship that no one expected compete for. Underdog stories seem to only be relevant while it lasts and remember if they come out on top. What the Rockies did and what the Royals have been able to do thus far, should be something that fans of the game bring appreciate. If you take out the fact it was against the Yankees, if the Red Sox pulled of the comeback victory in 2004 and then lost in the World Series, would it still be considered one of the best comebacks of all time?

No matter what happens in the future, fans of the game can say that this postseason has been one of the most fun to watch and showed that no matter how big your team’s market or record, if you play the game the way it should, anybody can make it to the big game.

@PaulHolden33

ph553412@ohio.edu