Although still under construction, Uncorked on Station street will soon be a new business addition to Athens. 

Wine bar to offer new atmosphere

A new wine bar in town offers a different kind of atmosphere.

Athens might be known for its hopping collegiate nightlife, but there will soon be a haven for those seeking a more low-key night in town.

Athens Uncorked, a wine bar projected to open in mid-November at 14 Station St., will offer a more intimate evening to local wine lovers.

The wine bar, owned by Athens siblings Nathan Hayes and Kathy Blake, will be open Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to midnight, and Saturdays from 9 a.m. to midnight. It will be closed Sundays.

"I kept thinking at some point somebody would open a wine bar," Hayes said. "After a while, I realized that nobody was going to do it, so I might as well."

Athens Uncorked aims to provide a quieter environment for people to get together and converse with friends, to go on a date or to bring parents during visits, Hayes said, as opposed to the louder bars uptown. 

For the less experienced wine drinkers, customers can also attend a wine tasting 101 class, or simply ask for help in finding something they enjoy.

The bar will serve foods such as cheese plates, bruschetta and bread and oil. Customers can also purchase coffee and pastries, like homemade poptarts, in the morning.

The bar is licensed to serve beer and wine, but will not be serving any hard liquor. 

Obtaining a liquor license was one of the first tasks Hayes and Blake had to address when starting their business, Hayes said, which they applied for late last year.

Since Athens has fulfilled its liquor license quota, set by the Ohio Division of Liquor Control, Hayes and Blake had to file for a TREX transfer, which allows the transfer of a license from another city that hasn’t yet reached its quota. 

Athens Mayor Paul Wiehl said he approved their request for a license because it would support economic growth. 

“Rather than having an empty building, we’re allowing trexing,” Wiehl said.

Hayes said he doesn’t want the bar to be very overpriced, though he doubts they could go less than $6 for a glass of wine. 

“At that point, the quality of wine that we’d be serving would not be very good, to be honest,” he said. 

@xx14noraxx

nj342914@ohio.edu