The Bobcats finished in second-place at the Lady Colonel Classic.

Women's Golf: Bobcats finish out of top 10 in shortened play

The rain that has swept  through Athens this week also found its way to the TPC River’s Bend golf course in Maineville, Ohio. 

The course was hosting the Bearcat Classic, an event that was supposed to be 54 holes; but, due to non-stop rain, competition was cut down to the one round of 18 holes played Monday. The field was only a few holes away from completing the second round of play when the rain continued to fall and the tournament was cancelled. The rain-soaked conditions caused the Bobcats to finish outside of the top 10 for the first time in two tournaments.

After finishing first in their last tournament, the Bobcats were unable to keep the momentum going and they combined for a one-round score of 319, which was 31 strokes from par. Ohio finished in 12th out of a field of 16, but was just five strokes away from the three-way tie for eighth. 

Junior Angela Codian led the Bobcats with a one-round total of 75 for three strokes over par, which was good enough to land her in a tie for seventh place individually. Codian has now had at least one round of 76 or lower in six straight tournaments and has been in the top 10 individually for two straight events. 

Junior Lauren McKinzie had her best result of the season, carding a one-round total of 80, which was eight strokes above par to place her 35th individually. 

Sophomore Hailey Hrynewich finished close behind her teammate after shooting a one-round total of 81 — four-strokes above par and good enough for a tie for 47th. 

The Bobcats will head to Catawba Island next week for the 2014 Rocket Classic, hosted by Toledo. Codian will look to continue her success as during last year’s Rocket Classic, the then sophomore finished in eighth place, which was her fifth top-10 finish of the year. The Rocket Classic will also mark the end of the Bobcat’s fall season. The team has had three top-10 team finishes out of their five events played so far. 

The 2014 Rocket Classic and season finale tees off Monday. 

@PaulHolden33

ph553412@ohio.edu