Anything Goes

‘Anything Goes’ taps its way into MemAud

The classic Cole Porter musical Anything Goes is heading to Templeton-Blackburn Memorial Auditorium Monday night

The classic Cole Porter musical “Anything Goes” is setting sail to tap dance its way into Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium Monday night as part of the Performing Arts and Concert Series. 

Set on the cruise liner S.S. American, “Anything Goes” follows the antics of Billy Crocker, played by Brian Krinsky, who is in pursuit of  the heart of Hope Harcourt, played by Rachelle Rose Clark. A nightclub singer Reno Sweeney, played by Emma Stratton, attempts to help him get the girl of his dreams. 

The tour follows the same direction and choreography as the 2011 Tony Award-winning Broadway revival starring Sutton Foster, Laura Osnes, Joel Grey and Jessica Walter. 

Andrew Holzaepfel, associate director of the Campus Involvement Center, said he is excited to bring this classic to Athens.

“I’m always excited to bring any Broadway to Athens,” he said. “Bring the big city to the small town. … It’s a little taste of New York in Athens.”

Holzaepfel said the musical ranked highly on the survey given to students and subscribers, with seniors responding very well due to the show’s classic nature. He added that student ticket sales have run fairly even to general ticket sales. 

“But come Spring Semester, we’ll go in a very different direction with ‘Memphis,’” he said. “We always try to balance. … Something like ‘Memphis’ will probably be heavier with student sales.”

Clark said the show is a classic, but its hilarious nature will appeal to everyone.

“It’s everything you could want in a musical,” she said. “It’s such a happy show. It’s hilarious, and the script is so smart. … There’s comic relief, love triangles, tap, ballroom dance.”

“Anything Goes” features classic songs such as “I Get a Kick Out of You,” “You’re the Top” and, of course, “Anything Goes,” but Clark said her favorite song is “It’s De-Lovely,” admitting she is biased because that’s the big number between her character and Billy Crocker.  

“I grew up with that song,” she said. “The costumes we get to wear are beautiful. There’s a big ballroom dance break in the middle. It’s stuff I never imagined myself doing. It’s romantic, fun and silly.”

@buzzlightmeryl

mg986611@ohio.edu