Morrison-Gordon Elementary School students carry the American flag down Court Street during the Veterans Day Parade, in Athens on Nov. 11, 2014.

Athens celebrates Veterans Day with parade, ceremony

Athens celebrates Veterans Day with a parade and ceremony. Some thought student turnout was fine, others expected more.

Candy catapulted by city and county officials, Ohio University ROTC students marching in-step and chanting in unison while marching bands played patriotic tunes was Veterans Day in Athens.

The Athens Veteran’s Day Parade began at Morris Avenue at about 10 a.m., wrapping around East State Street and ending at the Athens Civil War Monument on College Green for an hour-long ceremony to thank those who have served in the United States military.

The parade procession included the Athens Police Department, Athens County Sheriff’s Office, OU’s ROTC students, several area veterans organizations, four local marching bands and a handful of local elementary school students — all of whom excitedly waved tiny American flags while acknowledging passers-by.

“We’ve got a little bit of everyone here,” Athens Mayor Paul Wiehl said.

Other city officials in attendance included Athens City Councilwoman Chris Knisely, D-at large, whose son served in the U.S. Army for five years servicing helicopters.

“I’m glad to see everyone here,” she said.

Other residents, however, felt the student turnout was lacking, including Athens resident Shelly Rex.

“I was a student once, and I never attended events like these,” she said. “But now I have more appreciation, and I go every year,” 

Rex’s grandfather served in the U.S. Navy in the Philippines.

Guest speaker Steve Murray, president of Athens County Veterans Service, also touched on the importance of supporting veterans.

“Less than one percent of our country’s population serves our country,” he said. “We need to support them now.”

During his speech, Murray gestured toward the group of ROTC students, referring to them as “our country’s future.”

OU freshman Dillon Wyant joined the ROTC program due to his family's heritage in the profession. His two uncles, brother, grandfather and multiple cousins inspired him to pursue a career in the armed forces. 

“You’re part of the tradition … You see the veterans and what you want to be when you’re that age,” Wyant said.

@fair3julia

jf311013@ohio.edu