Athens City Council Preview: Tobacco, trash ordinances to get second readings

Two controversial ordinances will be read Monday night.

City Council members will meet Monday at 7 p.m. for their regular session, bringing them just a few steps away from passing a couple of amendments to Athens City Code.

The body will take another look at the long-contested amendment to the city’s trash ordinance, which will require trash cans to be out of view from the street of the residence’s address.

The measure has been on the agenda for months but has had to be revised several times due to pressures from both residents and city administration.

Council members will also hear another reading of a proposed amendment that will prohibit smoking in public parks, mirroring a similar measure already in place in county parks. The ordinance will also seek to curb cigarette-butt litter along public ways such as sidewalks.

Both the trash and the smoking ordinance will be up for second readings Monday night tonight.

Council will also likely pass a measure increasing fees for rental permits from $20 to $25.

Other measures on queue to be adopted is an ordinance that will allow for construction on the fire department's depot lift station and an ordinance appropriating funds for engineering services on the North Congress Street Sanitary Sewer.

After receiving a bid for the Columbus Road Bike Spur, council members will also move forward on authorizing an agreement between the city and the Ohio Department of Transportation. The measure will be declared an “emergency” meaning it will be introduced and likely passed tonight.