Athens County passes all eight issues on ballot

While voters throughout Ohio were at work to give Republicans additional four-year terms in statewide offices — including Gov. John Kasich’s victory over Democrat Ed FitzGerald — those in Athens County and City also had to scrutinize a number of measures to increase taxes.

Those residents passed all eight ballot issues in Tuesday’s midterm election, six of which raised taxes in some manner. 

Issue 1

54.18 percent of Athens County voters passed continued funding for the tuberculosis board for five years, starting in 2016. 

The Athens County Tuberculosis Board has been granted a 0.3 mill renewal levy. The levy was measured at about $160,000 a year, costing a $100,000 household $5 a year in property taxes. 

Issue 2

64.75 percent of Athens County voters passed the library levy. 

The library levy will raise $900,000 in funds for Athens County Public Libraries over the next five years. This tax costs $100,000 households about $35 annually in property taxes. 

Issue 4

73.94 percent of Athens County voters opted to pass the senior citizens levy that will help fund the Meals-On-Wheels program. 

The senior citizen levy continues the roughly .25 mill levy for the next five years. This levy costs $100,000 households $7.88 in property taxes annually. The levy will generate $230,000 for senior nutrition services in Athens County.

Issue 5

71.62 percent of Athens County voters opted to pass the Athens County Emergency Medical Services levy. 

The EMS levy is a 1 mill replacement levy that will generate $900,000 annually. Those funds will help values of property taxes, fuel, supplies and vehicles that haven’t been touched since 2011, The Post previously reported. The levy will cost $100,000 households $35 a year in property taxes. 

Issue 6

58.79 percent of Athens County voters opted to pass the Developmental Disability levy. 

Issue 6 will provide the Athens County Board of Developmental Disabilities $1.3 million per year, costing $100,000 households $52.50 in property taxes a year. 

Issue 7

78.28 percent of Athens city residents voted in favor of approving the Athens City Bill of Rights.

Issue 7 bans hydraulic fracturing for natural gas in Athens city limits.

Issue 8

68.78 percent of Athens voted in favor of the city of Athens’ Department of Arts, Parks and Recreation income tax levy.

Issue 8 provides funding for the renovation of Athens city parks. This levy replaces the current one, resulting in a 0.1 percent income tax increase. The tax increase will be instated for the next 20 years. 

Issue 9

62.11 percent of Athens residents flocking to the 3rd Ward’s 4th precinct polling station voted in favor of allowing Sunday alcohol sales at Busy Day Market, 30 W. Stimson Avenue.

jf311013@ohio.edu

@Fair3Julia