Freshman guard Mike Laster goes in to make a dunk during dunk contest to kick of the start of the season. The 2014-2015 season began with Saul Phillips riding into The Covo on a motorcycle accompanied by Rufus.

Bobcat Madness kicks off ‘Saul Ball’ era

“Popularized by the hashtag #SaulBall, Phillips’ offensive scheme was built for nights like Wednesday’s “Bobcat Madness” to showcase the Bobcats’ skills from behind the arc and above the rim.”

The Saul Phillips era started with a bit of flair when he rode into The Convo in style, on a motorcycle escorted by Ohio’s mascot, Rufus.

Rufus drove Phillips to center court where he was welcomed by the crowd of Bobcat fans for the first time. He’s not one to shy away from the spotlight, as his personality and play style is built to entertain crowds.

Popularized by the hashtag #SaulBall, Phillips’ offensive scheme was built for nights like Wednesday’s “Bobcat Madness” to showcase the Bobcats’ skills from behind the arc and above the rim.

“I was approached by several members of the O-Zone when I first got the job of bringing an event like this back,” Phillips said. “I thought it was a good idea because it draws the students a little bit and that’s a big priority for us.”

Coach Bob Boldon’s women’s squad was also introduced to fans before they participated in a battle of the sexes to start the activities. The men and women picked their best three-point shooters for a contest.

The men used 10 threes from redshirt sophomore forward Kenny Kaminski and nine from redshirt senior guard Javarez “Bean” Willis to defeat the women. In a losing effort, senior guard Mariah Byard led the way with eight threes made for the women.

After a quick game of horse shortened to “O-U” between Phillips and a fan, the men’s team took to the floor for an intrasquad game, which provided an All-Star Game-like environment. Both teams provided plenty of flair on the offensive end, but it was a rough start for the squad of Bobcats returners whose first three shots didn’t connect. That was met by some Phillips banter over the PA system.

Freshman guard/forward Ryan Taylor provided the highlight of the game with a two-handed reverse slam, serving as a preview for what was to come in the dunk contest.

“Hopefully we got the fans excited to come out and watch us play on Saturday,” senior guard Stevie Taylor said.

Ryan Taylor was thought to be the frontrunner in the contest heading into the night. He especially had the support of Stevie, who predicted Ryan would win.

“I’m going to go with Ryan,” Stevie said. “I think he might have something up his sleeve.”

What Stevie didn’t know at the time was that fellow senior forward Maurice Ndour also would be participating in the contest. Ndour showed why coach Phillips calls him a “physical freak” by jumping over walk-on freshman guard Reggie Williams to advance to the championship round where he faced off against Ryan Taylor.

For Ndour’s finals performance, he lined up freshman forward Sam Frayer and Williams before dunking over them with a right-hand finish to win the dunk contest.

“I see (Ndour) do that a lot, so I kind of knew what he was going to do,” Taylor said. “When he performs, it amazes every time he does it.”

With the Bobcat Madness festivities concluded, the Saul Ball era is officially underway. Now, the real work will begin Saturday in The Convo for an exhibition game against Division-III Marietta College.

“I’m looking forward and hoping we get these same people to come out for the exhibition again on Saturday and then the game again a week after that,” Phillips said.

@Kovarandrew

ak840511@ohio.edu