Editorial: Show support for veterans every day

We should be more cognizant of what veterans do for us all year long, not just on the day we’re told to.

An interesting juxtaposition of stories are featured in today’s newspaper. One is about the moving support for veterans during the Veteran’s Day Parade on Court Street on Tuesday. The other is about the lack of support some Athens-area veterans say they receive during the rest of the year.

For one day, it’s American flags and thankful fanfare, but for the remainder, it’s a feeling of unappreciation. 

It’s easy to say that we should find more ways to actively acknowledge the service that veterans gave to our country. It’s more difficult to make good of the pledge to do so.

There is a lengthy list of resources for veterans and active military personnel online at ohio.edu/students/veterans. That’s a good starting place for students interested in researching how they can support veterans.

Silent support is valuable as well, but we should all be more mindful of how we can speak up, support our veterans and let them know how much we care.

Even simple gestures of solidarity, such as attending Tuesday’s parade, surely speak volumes to those who have served.

Editorials represent the majority opinion of The Post’s executive editors.