Field Hockey: Ohio defeats Central Michigan en route to MAC Championship

Brittany Walker had numerous critical goals in Ohio’s shootout with Central Michigan, as the Bobcats advance to their second MAC Championship in four seasons.

KENT, Ohio — Goalie Brittany Walker had three saves during a shootout and Lauryl Desch scored in the first half to push No. 4 Ohio past No. 1 seed Central Michigan and into the Mid-American Conference Championship.

Walker held the Chippewas scoreless for the entirety of the second half and two overtimes, as the Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania native solidified Ohio’s first MAC Championship berth since the program won in 2011.

“I’m happy our team didn’t give up, we stayed together and knew what we were gonna do,” sophomore Kristen Buchanan said “This means everything to (us). We went home last year and this year we said ‘We’re not going home today.’"

Junior Adele Sammons, freshman Rachel Kho and Buchanan scored during the Bobcats second shoot out of the season, as Ohio moved to 2-0 on the year in games played past 100 minutes.

The Bobcats rematch against the Chippewas was a stalemate throughout, however, as penalties littered a cold Murphy-Mellis Field.

Ohio and Central Michigan faced multiple man-up and man-down situations because of the penalties, as coach Neil Macmillan said tired legs did effect the Bobcats towards the end.

“It’s a tough situation to be in when you’re in man-down,” Macmillan said. “We had that a couple times, but we also did a pretty good job of taking advantage when we were in man-up and playing in Central’s end."

Ohio overcame numerous nagging injuries on its way to a second MAC Championship in four seasons.

Sammons, who was named to the First Team All-MAC on Thursday, played almost the entirety of the game and came up limping after a rough tackle in the second overtime period.

Buchanan received a bruised hand from a reflection in front of the Chippewas goal in the first half. Other Bobcats also came up wincing after tough collisions through the four periods of play.

“Everyone was hurting,” Macmillan said. “We didn’t sub in during overtime, so we were relying on the seven we had out there and they ran a lot of miles today."

The Bobcats will play Kent State on Nov. 8, as the Golden Flashes are the one of the only two MAC teams to defeat Ohio this season.

After falling 2-8 and 1-2 in MAC play, Ohio has turned its season around by winning four of its past six games — all against MAC opponents.

Buchanan said it doesn’t matter who, or how long, the Bobcats play on Saturday because Ohio is peaking at the right time.

“I think it pumps us up even more, because we can play 100 minutes, we can play more, and we can still come out on top,” Buchanan said. “So we’re excited for tomorrows game and it won’t hold us back.”  

@Lukeoroark

Lr514812@ohio.edu