Gamer Girl

Gamer Girl: Video game releases prove to be tempting

In the past few weeks, a variety of popular video games have been released. None of which, may I say, I’ve purchased. I’ve been trying to put myself on a spending ban, which is considerably hard this time of the year. Here are the recent releases I’m itching to check out: 

Even though I played it for the Xbox 360, I want to check out Grand Theft Auto V for the next-gen consoles. From what I’ve read, there will be more first-player options and other features not in the original version.

I’m a huge fan of the Assassin’s Creed series. Assassin’s Creed Unitywas plagued with problems after it was released — something pretty common for Ubisoft games — but the overall plot seems interesting. The game is set in Paris during the French Revolution.

I also love the Call of Duty franchise — it’s my guilty pleasure video game. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare is the 11th primary installment of the series. While I don’t know about all the changes the series has made, I’ve heard many Call of Duty fans say it’s one of their favorite titles from the game (at least recently) and that it’s worth checking out.

I’m a little sad to admit that I’ve never played any of the Far Cry games, but I plan on picking up Far Cry 4. I also want to check out Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor. I’ve never been a Lord of the Rings fan, but the game seems interesting and I’m a big fan of open-world games, so it would probably work really well for this title.

Embarrassingly, I’m not a big Super Smash Bros. fan, but I’ll probably check out the new 3DS version of the game. I’m a big fan of the new Mario Kart 8 so it’s only fair to check this one out too. 

I still haven’t even invested in a next-gen console, but I’ve been considering it for a long time, and if I ever do, which is inevitable, it’ll be the PS4. I love my Xbox 360, but the PS4 shows more promise and the exclusives are more appealing for me. I also like that the network is free and you don’t need to purchase a membership just in order to connect to Netflix on the device. 

Sophie Kruse is a junior studying journalism. What games do you want to check out? Email her at sk139011@ohio.edu or find her on Twitter at @kruseco