Blond performs at Casa. 

Local performers reflect on The Union

After Sunday’s fire destroyed The Union Bar & Grill, performers reflect on the performance space.

Saturday night was just like many performances for members of the psychedelic groove-rock band Blond — they came, they rocked, and when the night was over, they left their equipment at The Union Bar & Grill to be gathered the next day. 

When band members awoke Sunday morning, they quickly realized that a fire was raging through the second floor of The Union, 18 W. Union St., and right through the group’s equipment — a $10,000 loss according to guitarist Ethan Wehrly.  

“We had everything: a $4,000 drum set, a $3,000 keyboard and another $2,000 in guitars and amps,” Wehrly said, excluding extraneous costs associated with the equipment. “We’re devastated, not just about our gear but about The Union.”

It’s something that could have happened to any of the multitude of performers who have played at The Union and been touched by the venue’s intimate history. 

“I’ve done that so many times, like, ‘I’ll just get my gear tomorrow,’ and now it’s gone,” said Brian Koscho, marketing director for Stuart’s Opera House and a frequent performer at The Union. “There are countless other people that leave gear up there. There are other bands that practice up there.” 

Alex Couladis, co-owner of the two buildings in which The Union and Jackie O’s Pub & Brewery reside, said the property is a “total loss.” 

The Union was renovated in 2011. The changes consisted of outfitting the upstairs performance space with new sound equipment, according to Brandon “DJ B-Funk” Thompson — a frequent performer there.

“I’ve been doing shows there for five years, and they’re like a family,” Thompson said. “(Those renovations) clearly doubled the sound. That’s why I do most of my big shows at The Union, because nothing against Casa (Nueva) or Jackie O’s, I just feel the sound at The Union is the best.”

As of press time, the damage to Public House space of Jackie O’s, 24 W. Union St., is unclear in regard to its functionality as a performance space.

Thompson also pointed out that the fire took down one of Athens’ few viable venues for live rock performances. The loss is especially detrimental to the local hip-hop scene, as well. The Athens Hip-Hop Shop has always called The Union home.

The monthly event was set to take place this Thursday and will keep that date with a new venue at the Theta Chi fraternity house, 117 E. State St. The event is organized by Peter “MC Freeman” Vilardi. 

Sam Flynn, Theta Chi’s fraternity president, donated the space to the organizers so the show can go on as planned.

“The Hip-Hop Shop will continue,” said Vilardi, a junior studying music production. “Athens hip-hop is homeless right now and we’re kind of crashing on couches throughout the town, but we’ll find a place soon enough.” 

Donations will be collected at the show to benefit The Union. 

Hil Hackworth, co-founding member of local hip-hop group Dysfunktional Family and lead organizer for the shop, said he’s letting Vilardi take the reigns for this month’s performance so he can start to help to organize a larger benefit show for The Union. 

“Everything just started going today,” Hackworth said. “We’re just trying to raise as much money as we can and give it to those guys that are in control … they’ve given us so much it’s the least we can do.”

@Wilbur_Hoffman

wh092010@ohio.edu