The full Marching 110 band performs renditions of a variety of pop songs during their Varsity concert. 

Marching 110 relived season with annual Varsity Show at MemAud

The Marching 110 played annual Varsity Show at MemAud with a variety of songs, such as “Crazy Train” by Ozzy Osbourne and “Bye Bye Bye” by ’N Sync.

Members of Ohio University’s Marching 110 stepped off the field and stepped into Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium this weekend, but they still brought the same energy.

The band filled the stage Saturday night for its annual Varsity Show, an indoor concert showcasing the entire season’s repertoire.

The 110 marched down the aisles of MemAud while the audience stood and clapped to the familiar tune of the fight song, “Stand Up and Cheer.”

The percussion section stood center stage and the lower brass outlined the back of the stage. The other members of the 110 took their seats and the show began with “Maps” by Maroon 5.

“Superbad” by Jesse McCartney was the first dance number of the night. Eight band members came to the front of the stage to play and also perform a modified dance.

The crowd later cheered at the announcement of Ozzy Osbourne’s “Crazy Train,” the selection performed at the 2014 homecoming halftime show with the Alumni Band.  The song had everything from colorful lights to a percussionist jumping over the drummers and landing center stage.   

The show also included traditional 110 songs, such as “Ain’t Been Good,” the first dance number ever performed by the 110, and “Longest Train Runnin’,” a Doobie Brothers’ song arranged for the 110 in 1973.

The traditional songs were well received by the audience, which included alumni returning to see the show.

“I love this show,” said Tim Martin, an OU alumnus and former snare drummer of the 110. “It’s so much fun each year. Compared to other years, it lived up to the expectations. It always lives up to the hype.”

After intermission, Richard Suk, the 110 director, entered the stage while the band was already on its feet performing. Cymbal players were on the ground while drums were hoisted into the air. The whole band was thrusting their hips to the melody of the music.

Senior recognition later took place after the singing of the “Alma Mater.” After each senior’s name was called, the seniors stood among the audience and watched as the 110 played “Stand Up and Cheer.”

“Often for those seniors, it may be the first time they ever just watched the band,” said Josh Boyer, assistant director of the 110. “Some people come to OU and have never seen the band before. For some of them, it’s the first time they’ll see ‘Stand Up and Cheer’ without them being in the group.”

The crowd was back on its feet as the night came to a close with an arrangement of ’N Sync’s “Bye Bye Bye.” The drummers remained on stage playing even after all the other members of the 110 disappeared into the crowd.

“(The show) was a blast,” said Jared Halter, a senior studying integrated mathematics and field commander of the 110. “It’s always so much fun playing in front of my college hometown. Everyone here is so receptive. They give us so much energy and we spit it back out at the crowd. It’s always a wonderful time to perform in Athens.”

The 110 is taking its Varsity Show to Columbus on Nov. 24.

“We have a show at Ohio Theatre in Columbus, Ohio, which is always a blast because we get a huge crowd there, but there is always a special place in our hearts to perform for our friends and fellow alumni back here in Athens,” Halter said.

@lizb143

eb823313@ohio.edu