Grant Stover

Nurturing OUr Nature: Sustainability events highlight Dad’s Weekend

Dad’s Weekend is less than a week away, and with it come multiple opportunities to get involved with sustainability on campus.

The Athens Conservancy is having its second annual Zombie Fun Run and Walk on Saturday at 4 p.m at Lake Snowden, while the Office of Recycling and Department of Campus Recreation is building “Cardboard Camelot” with the intention of being the world’s largest cardboard castle.

The Zombie Fun Run and Walk is a 5k that allows you to either sign up as a runner or a zombie. The runners start the race, and are soon chased by all the zombies. Runners will have flags attached to them, and if caught will turn into a zombie as well. The walk is not competitive.

Zombies are encouraged to dress the part, and the Athens High School Drama Club will provide makeovers for donations.

The walk is expected to be family and spectator friendly and will be sponsored by Kaisers Barbecue, Avalanche Pizza, Snowville Creamery, and Healthy Concessions.

Pre-sale cost for the run or walk is $15, or $20 on the day of the race. T-shirts are $10 and kids under 10 can walk for free. Door prizes and prizes for winners will also be provided.

Proceeds will go to the Athens Conservancy, a local nonprofit organization with a mission to preserve open space in Athens and surrounding counties. 

“Land is not cheap,” said Mary Reed, Athens Conservancy member and race director. “So fundraisers like this are essential in helping us fulfill our mission.”

“Cardboard Camelot” will be constructed from Friday through Sunday on the basketball courts in Ping Center. A minimum of 15,000 cardboard boxes are hoping to be used for the castle. The purpose of the event is not only to construct the largest cardboard castle ever, but also to educate on the difference recycling makes here at OU.  

Volunteers are still needed for the castle and all students are encouraged to bring their dads to both events. Have a safe and fun Dad’s Weekend!

Grant Stover is a sophomore studying English and a concerned environmentalist. Email him at gs155412@ohio.edu