Ohio redshirt senior quarterback Derrius Vick (#15) tries to avoid a tackle by a Buffalo defender during their Wednesday night MAC game at Peden Stadium. 

Ohio keeps postseason hopes alive, tops Buffalo

Ohio (5-5, 3-3 MAC) dominated Buffalo 37-14 at home in a game that seemed to be a must-win among Bobcats players and coach Frank Solich.

Exactly 365 days after suffering a crushing loss from Buffalo that began a disappointing finish to Ohio’s 2013 season, the Bobcats may have salvaged their 2014 campaign.

After suffering three losses in its previous four games, the Bobcats had more than a week off before hosting the Bulls. The team’s extra preparation was apparent from the get-go of Wednesday’s rematch at Peden Stadium.

On a cold, rainy evening of mid-week Mid-American Conference play, Ohio used its rushing attack to avenge last year’s loss and get back to .500 on the season with a 37-14 victory. The Bobcats won the turnover margin, committed just one penalty and scored all seven times it reached the red zone.

“I feel like we came together and realized what’s at stake,” redshirt junior cornerback Ian Wells said. “We don’t just owe it to ourselves, to our teammates. We also owe it to the people that passed it down to us.”

Wells finished with a fumble recovery, two pass break-ups and four tackles, including a sack. After allowing 42 points to Western Michigan in Ohio’s last game, Wells said the defense felt fresh.

Ohio (5-5, 3-3 MAC) recorded a first-half shutout for the first time since blanking Austin Peay before the break on Sept. 21, 2013. The Bobcats jumped out to a 27-0 lead before the Bulls (3-6, 1-4 MAC) lit up their side of the scoreboard.

One of the main reasons the Bobcats were able to move downfield so swiftly was the return of freshman running back A.J. Ouellette, who finished with 155 yards on 29 carries and a pair of touchdowns. He didn’t play in the Bobcats’ last game against Western Michigan and has been battling a lingering ankle injury throughout the year.

“It was a big help I got to sit out and rest this ankle for a while and felt great,” Ouellette said. “I think everybody felt fresh.”

The Bobcats gained 233 yards and four touchdowns on the ground.

“It’s the kind of football we like to play,” Solich said. “An awful lot of pounding it at them to where they started to make creases.”

Solich also said that the Bobcats seemed refreshed and appeared to have more energy than they had before their extensive break. Ohio converted each of its redzone trips into points, as redshirt junior kicker Josiah Yazdani was perfect on each of his three field goal attempts.

Although redshirt junior quarterback Derrius Vick saw some playing time against Western Michigan, he made his first start in five games on Wednesday and admitted that he felt extra pressure to play well.

He finished 7 of 18 for 118 yards through the air and added another 44 yards and a touchdown on the ground.

Ohio won’t play again until Nov. 18 when it hosts Northern Illinois. The Huskies have won their past three games and are 4-1 in MAC play.

“You’re remembered for the games in November, and so far we’re 1-0,” Vick said. “We had a good crowd, I thought, for the rain, and they stuck with us. I think that’s what we need to show each week. That’s our potential.”

@chadlindskog

cl027410@ohio.edu