Will Lammers, left, is struck with a pie by Michael Mott. Members of Pi Kappa Phi stood in front of the courthouse on Court Street in Athens, Ohio, on Saturday, November 8, 2014, taking pies to the face for a one dollar donation to The Ability Experience, a children-based organization. 

Ohio University fraternity Pi Kappa Phi held their 5th annual Pie A Pi Kapp Saturday

Ohio University fraternity Pi Kappa Phi held their 5th annual Pie A Pi Kapp Saturday, in benefit of The Ability Experience

A pie to the face is something straight out of a Mel Brooks movie, but one Ohio University fraternity brought the practice from Hollywood to Court Street this weekend.

OU’s Pi Kappa Phi chapter held its fifth annual “Pie A Pi Kapp” philanthropy event Saturday afternoon, next to city hall at the intersection of Court Street and Washington Streets.

Throwing a whipped pie in someone’s face cost $1. 

The organization raised more than $230 for Pi Kappa Phi’s national non-profit philanthropic organization, The Ability Experience, which aims to benefit people with disabilities, said Michael Giorgi, the chapter’s president.

“We always schedule it on Dads Weekend,” said Brett Bishop, a sophomore in the fraternity. “Our fraternity hasn't been here for long and we've been doing this ever since it started.”

The chapter began throwing the event in 2009, Giorgi said.

“‘Pie a Pi Kapp’ is planned and promoted by our associate members, and it gives them an opportunity to lead before they are full fledged members of Pi Kappa Phi,” Giorgi said.

Associate members of Pi Kappa Phi received most of the pie to the face.

“We let the associate members get pied,” said Tim Howard, a sophomore who helped organize last year’s event. “But sometimes the active members get it.”

Whipped cream was sprayed into the pie pans with each “pie.”

“We are extremely excited to put on such an interactive and unique event every semester,” Giorgi said.

@LUKEFURMANOU

LF491413@ohio.edu