A paramedic tends to Mason Tigner, a sophomore studying physical therapy, after Tigner rode his longboard into the crosswalk between Grover Center and Sargent Hall and struck an OU CATS bus on Tuesday afternoon, November 25, 2014. Tigner was transported to OhioHealth O’Bleness Hospital for injuries on his head, hip, knees and ankles.

OU student who struck bus faces underage consumption charge

OUPD report shows that student who was hit by bus was intoxicated.

The Ohio University student who struck a bus while skateboarding on Richland Avenue has been charged with underage consumption of alcohol, according to a police report.

Mason Tigner, a sophomore studying physical therapy, was transported to OhioHealth O’Bleness Hospital Tuesday afternoon after he rode his skateboard into the crosswalk between Grover Center and Sargent Hall and struck an OU CATS bus.

OU CATS buses offer free transit throughout the Athens campus. 

The collision occurred just before 4 p.m., according to the Ohio University Police Department report.

OU police found Tigner to be under the influence of alcohol after the investigation on the accident was completed, according to the report.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="789ef1c8-7901-11e4-a355-6308265fac20"}}

Tigner, 20, told The Post on Sunday he sustained injuries on his head, hip, knees and ankles, which included swelling, scrapes, bruises and a concussion.

“I got, I think, six or seven staples in the back of my head because I split it open,” he said. “It was hard for me to walk the first few days, but now I’m feeling better.”   

Despite his charge in court, Tigner said he doesn’t think the accident was “completely his fault.”

Tigner is scheduled to appear in the Athens County Municipal Court on Dec. 4 at 9:30 a.m.

@JOSHUALIM93

JL951613@ohio.edu