OUPD's new bomb-sniffing dog, Brody, and his handler, officer Adam Hoffman, in the Human Resources and Training Center on Nov. 24. 

OUPD’s new four-legged recruit begins its duty

OUPD now has two bomb-sniffing dogs on its force.

Some dogs spend their lives as pets. But Brody, a male Belgian Malinois from Europe, will spend the immediate future protecting Ohio University and Southeast Ohio.

Brody, OU Police’s second bomb-sniffing dog, was formally presented to the public Monday afternoon at the OU Human Resources and Training Center on West Union Street.

John Born, the director of Ohio Department of Public Safety, said the bomb-sniffing dog came to OU as part of Gov. John Kasich’s program to increase safety at schools statewide.

“There’s probably no more effective or powerful tool in the prevention field than a canine.” Born said.

Funds from federal grants and Ohio Homeland Security were transferred to OUPD to cover the costs of Brody and his operating costs. The sum of purchasing, training and equipping the bomb-sniffing dog totals just under $13,000, according to a previous Post article.

OUPD acquired its first bomb-sniffing dog, a labrador-retriever mix named Alex, earlier this fall.

OU President Roderick McDavis said he was delighted to welcome OU’s newest explosive- detection canine. McDavis added the importance of safety does not only extend to students at OU but also to the people within the region.

He said OU will now have an additional opportunity to “give back” to Southeast Ohio by providing a new level of security to surrounding areas around Athens.

“Our two canines will not only help Ohio University be a safer place, but we hope and believe that we’ll help make this a safer region” he said.

Powers said he was appreciative of the Ohio Department of Public Safety’s support for university police departments around the state.

“Years ago, many of us in this field felt that we were an untapped resource, and we’re certainly excited and pleased that we’re now being tapped and able to contribute at the regional level,” Powers said.

Powers said having a second dog allows his department to work throughout Southeast Ohio while ensuring OU’s safety needs are met.

Powers also said one of his department’s existing cars is currently being retrofitted to cater the canine’s needs. Powers was unable to confirm the costs of modifying the car but Born said the costs would be covered by federal grant money.

Officer Adam Hoffman, Brody’s handler, said he and Brody had recently completed their five week training about a week ago. Although Brody has not had an opportunity to work with Alex, Hoffman said the two dogs have been introduced and seem to be getting along.

“I think they’re going to make a good team,” he said.

@Joshualim93

jl951613@ohio.edu