APD receives grant to fund victim advocate

The Athens Police Department announced Tuesday it had been awarded the federal Violence Against Women Act grant to fund its police social worker, Molly Burchfield.

Burchfield has been in the position for 18 years, servicing victims of domestic abuse, sexual assault and stalking.

However, the Athens County Sheriff’s Office was notified two weeks ago it would not receive funding for the same grant, which pays the salary of its domestic violence coordinator, Stacy Crook. 

Both Crook and Burchfield provide counseling and guide survivors through legal procedures they could face. 

Years ago, the sheriff’s office’s advocate left the department and Burchfield took its reports temporarily. Her services are countywide, so Burchfield said the change wasn’t too shaking — her caseload just increased.

“We worked out an agreement when they lost their advocate, and I handled their cases, as well as the advocate with My Sister’s Place,” Burchfield said.

Crook previously told The Post she is unlikely to leave the sheriff’s office, with or without the $60,000 grant paying her salary. That grant expires Dec. 31. 

If the Athens County Commissioners approve a $16,000 budget request Interim Sheriff Rodney Smith put forward, Crook will make $13 an hour for her position. She currently makes $20.

Smith said he had no comment on APD receiving the VAWA grant Tuesday, though his department will continue to apply for the grant to fund Crook’s salary. This month, the sheriff’s office will apply for a grant through the Family Violence Prevention and Services act to match the $60,000 lost.

He is unsure as to why the department was denied the grant in the first place, but will be notified in June on whether the office receives the second grant. 

In the meantime, Burchfield said she is always able to meet with victims of domestic abuse, sexual assault or stalking — whether they file a police report or not.

“It’s nice for each agency to have somebody right there,” Burchfield said. “We’re not going to allow any victims to not receive service.”

Burchfield and Crook also occasionally respond to calls for service for domestic violence, stalking and sexual assault with male officers and deputies.

“I have people that just come in, no reports have been made,” Burchfield said. “They just want to talk about an incident and what they can do.”

@EOCKERMAN

EO300813@ohio.edu