Ryan Luehrman, who now plays for OU, attempts to outrun his opponent from Toledo Central Catholic during Athens High School's State Championship Football game in 2014. (FILE)

Athens High School football team falls shy of state championship

COLUMBUS — Trae Williams had a chance to seal the game for the second straight week, this time to clinch a Division III State Championship.

But unlike in last week’s semifinal against Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary, Williams was unable to pull in a game-ending interception that fell softly to the ground in the north end zone of Ohio Stadium. On the next play, Toledo Central Catholic quarterback Marcus Winters ran it in from the 8-yard line with 15 seconds remaining to secure a 56-52 lead that ended up being Thursday’s final score.

Williams, a senior running back and Ohio commit, scored his second touchdown with 2:52 left on the clock to give Athens a 52-49 lead. The teams went back-and-forth throughout the game, but it seemed then as if the Bulldogs had landed the final blow of the night.

But Central Catholic converted on its final drive, and the Athens players were left to watch silently from the sideline as Central Catholic celebrated its third state title in the past 10 years.

“There hasn’t been a state title game at The Shoe in 25 years, but us and Athens made up for that tonight,” Central Catholic coach Greg Dempsey said. “I don’t think you could see a more exciting football game.”

On Athens’ first play from offense, senior quarterback Joe Burrow eluded multiple defenders in the backfield to scamper for a 49-yard run to set up Williams, who finished the drive with a rushing touchdown from one yard out. 

In his final game in a Bulldogs uniform, Burrow put on a show. His six touchdown passes and 446 yards are new Division III state championship game records. He also received Ohio Mr. Football honors on 

Wednesday.

Sitting crouched over during the postgame news conference, Burrow had a blank stare on his face as he recalled his only memory of the game.

“Nothing matters except that loss,” Burrow said. “We put in all the hard work to get here, just didn’t end up making enough plays at the end.”

Burrow tossed an interception — just his second of the season — that he said will resonate for him for a while.

“I think it’s easily the worst feeling in the world,” Burrow said. “Worst day of my life, not much more to be said.”

For every Bulldogs touchdown, the Fighting Irish had an answer — and they preferred to score on the ground instead of through the air. Central Catholic wore Athens (14-1) away between the tackles, but its big plays came when the Fighting Irish got their playmakers to the outside.

“Both teams kept throwing right hooks at each other back and forth,” Athens coach Ryan Adams said. “Defensively, I think we were really struggling at times containing the perimeter, and they were having trouble containing our passing game.”

Central Catholic (13-2) didn’t need to throw the ball to hang with Burrow and Athens. The Fighting Irish were one yard short of tying the state championship record for rushing yards in a game. The Fighting Irish had 501 yards on the ground with each member of their backfield trio each finishing with more 100 yards individually.

This year’s playoff run was the furthest the Bulldogs had ever gone in the postseason. Adams gave credit for the team’s success to its senior class. 

“The effort that these kids have given while they have been here, we have seen the progress along the way,” Adams said. “This year we lined up and we totally looked like we belonged, and that’s a tribute to the hard work and effort that these kids have put in.”

@KOVARANDREW

AK840611@ohio.edu