Deck the Green

Deck the Green: Holiday Beauty Wishlist

Assistant culture editor Rebekah Barnes shares her make-up wishlist for this holiday season. Which of her beauty buys do you want under the trees this season?

As an avid shopper at Sephora and many subscriptions to YouTube beauty gurus on my laptop, makeup always seems to sneak up on my Christmas wish lists.

After recent woes with drugstore makeup buys, I have decided as a lady of 20 years old, I am going to start building a collection based on quality, not quantity. Gone are the days of drawers and drawers of silly Covergirl trios. Now I’m trying to keep my makeup collection compact into one makeup bag.

But that doesn’t take any of the fun out of shopping or list making! Here are my top beauty picks for this holiday season:

1. TOO FACED Better than Sex mascara

Now, this mascara had me at its seductive name and its gorgeous pink packaging. It would not be in fact the first purchase of this mascara. Last month I had my mom pick it up as she was heading up to Athens for me to try because I had only heard good things. And in fact, they were all true. My lashes are about three times longer and fuller and the pigmentation is fantastic. With minimal flaking and a wet consistency, it is not the best buildable mascara, but trust me, one or two coats is all that you will need. I’m hoping to get another so when my tube runs out, I’m all ready. (photo via sephora.com)

1. First Aid Beauty Fab Faces to Go skincare set, $28

If you’re like me and can’t get enough of Ingrid Nilsen’s YouTube channel, you’ll know that she has a great love for First Aid Beauty products. As a gal who rarely enjoys browsing the aisles of scrubs and cleansers, I get kicks from skincare kits. Bonus: this one is perfectly sized for travel. Wanting to start the New Year with better skin, I’m hoping Santa drops off this little set and if not, I might just have to treat myself. (photo via firstaidbeauty.com)

1. Urban Decay Naked Basics palette, $29

The Naked palettes have become a staple in almost every makeup collection. I personally have the first palette in the set, arguably in my opinion the best one they’ve made. However, I do not enjoy either the packaging or the size, considering the fact that I use on a day-to-day basis about three or four colors. This small and compact micro-palette will be perfect for travel and just the right colors for practical and buildable use. There is also a Naked Basics 2 for darker shades and complexions. (photo via sephora.com)

1. Nars Laguna bronzer, $38

All I have ever wanted is Nars Laguna bronzer. It has so much hype in the beauty world and as I personally do not use blush, I have no need for a blush/bronzer duo. I just need some bronzer to give my flat, pale skin a little bit of color and glow. I have a feeling I will fall quickly in love with this bronzer, as so many people do. (photo via sephora.com)

1. Benefit Cosmetics They’re Real! Push-Up Liner, $24

This product is on my list simply out of curiousity. I have recently joined the cult of gel eyeliner and I am never going back (favorite: Revlon Colorstay gel liner). Benefit Cosmetic’s liner apparently combines the application of a liquid liner and product of a gel liner. I just want to have it. That is all. (photo via sephora.com)

1. Benefit Cosmetics The POREfessional

As winter beats on, I’ve noticed my skin has had a hard time with keeping concealer and powder from either slipping off or covering up dryness (yay, combination skin). This primer helps minimize pores and provide a nice base for makeup application. Whether it’s just a sweep of powder or fuller coverage, this product is supposed to create a great canvas for any look. (photo via sephora.com)

1. Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz, $21

So apparently grown-ups fill in brows. And apparently they don’t call themselves grown-ups either. I’ve been on the search through the aisles of CVS and Target for a brow pencil that will suit my fair complexion as well as my red/auburn hair. If you are not a typical blonde or brunette, finding a drugstore dupe for a designer brown pencil can be extremely difficult. So I might as well give in to Anastasia, the brow queen. Let’s see if it lives up to the hype. (photo via sephora.com)

1. Revlon Colorstay Moisture Stain, $9.99 

I recently fell in love with Revlon Colorstay Moisture Stain in Parisian Passion. This product is like a lipstick, lip stain and lip gloss all is one. With the color pay off of a lipstick, the consistency definitely leans more towards a thicker gloss. The only downside is that you will for sure need another coat after your holiday meal! I’m hoping Santa will slip a few more of these in my stocking Christmas morning. (photo via adifferentface.net)

1. Flash tattoos, $22 a pack

Remember temporary tattoos? Flash tattoos combine the fun of temporary tattoos with the glitz of gold shimmer. I have seen these featured in a lot of magazines and would love to get a set of these to play around with. It’s like jewelry, without the weight. (photo via sephora.com)

1. Give Me Some Lip gift set --$25

This gift set is a great starter for people who like me who can get a little nervous with lip color. With some of Sephora’s favorite lip products in across different brands and colors, it’s the gift that keeps on giving as you can switch from a peach lip to ruby red and gloss to lipstick. Brands include Urban Decay, Nars, Tarte, Smashbox, Marc Jacobs, Buxom and Bite. (photo via sephora.com)

@reb_barnes

rb605712@ohio.edu