Jim Ryan is a senior studying journalism and political science and editor-in-chief of The Post

From The Editor's Desk: It’s the last paper of the year, but there’s still plenty to read online

A colleague of mine recently asked for my home address. Without hesitation, I replied: “325 Baker.” 

It’s that point in the semester, folks.

With Ohio University’s Winter Break quickly approaching, Post staffers will soon vacate our office space in Baker University Center in favor of our other homes across the country.

That said, today’s newspaper is our last until 2015. Although we won’t have fresh papers on newsstands until after the holidays, we will be paying special attention to our online presence — updating our website and social media accounts from afar. (I’m headed back to my hometown in northern Michigan; other staffers will be traveling as far as Alabama, Brooklyn and North Carolina.)

You can keep your finger on the pulse of what’s happening here on campus by liking our Facebook page (ThePostAthens) and following us on Twitter (@ThePost) and Instagram (@ThePostPhoto).

A couple Post-related digital media notes from the past two weeks, while I’m at it:

We have enabled Facebook commenting on our website. Facebook commenting — as opposed to traditional mechanisms that require readers to create a screen name and password — allows readers to comment on our posts with relative ease. 

Our tweets now feature “Twitter cards,” or expanded descriptions and photos that appear when a reader clicks on an individual post. They’re nothing flashy, but they better present our content on Twitter.

Readers can now subscribe to a daily Post newsletter that puts our top stories in your email inbox every day before noon. Subscribe by clicking the “Email List” link on thepostathens.com.

We are tripling the number of Post masthead personnel responsible for our digital operation. Caroline Bartels, Su Park and William Hoffman now manage and populate thepostathens.com and run our social media accounts.

We also recently passed the 10,000 followers benchmark on Twitter and surpassed 3,400 Facebook likes. Thank you to all of you who have interacted with us on social media. 

More than ever, The Post is focused on expanding its digital efforts. Following us on social media gives readers a first-hand glimpse of the digital shift happening in our newsroom — or, for the next month or so, our families’ living rooms.

As always, thanks for reading.

Jim Ryan is a senior studying journalism and political science and editor-in-chief of The Post. Contact him at jr992810@ohio.edu or on Twitter at @Jimryan015.