Sophie Kruse - Gamer Girl

Gamer Girl: Tech-based gifts for the holidays

It’s that time of year again, my friends. While you hang your stockings and drink your hot cocoa, it’s time to prepare your holiday wish list. Last week, I let you all in on the games that I’ve been lusting over. This week, for my final column of the semester, I’m going to share my tech-y wish list for this holiday season (I hope you’re reading, Mom.)

The first thing on my Christmas list is a renewed subscription to Sirius XM radio. While this isn’t the most exciting item on my list, it’s sadly become a necessity to me. My trial subscription was up in October and since then, I’ve been struggling. I usually try to seek solace with either some Spotify playlists, a mix CD (I’m a little old school) or an audiobook (I’m also a super nerd). Sometimes I just want to make it easy on myself and be able to surf through the hundreds of commercial-free stations.

I’d also like to upgrade my iPad to an iPad mini. I was an early adopter, so my first-generation iPad is pretty much out of commission — I can’t update the software, no more apps are suited for it’s system and it’s pretty darn slow. I’ve grown accustomed to not using my tablet much anymore, but one day I want to update it and use it for everything I could.

The largest thing on my long-term wish list is a new console. Even though I’ve mentioned this before, I’d really love to get my hands on a Playstation 4. I still dearly love my Xbox 360, but the things that the PS4 has is much better than that on the Xbox One. However, a new console is something I could definitely wait on until it becomes hard to get any games for the older consoles.

While that’s it for my personal list, there are a few other things that have caught my eye that would be perfect for other tech lovers in your life. For those that love to share videos or stream music, Chromecast is perfect and is less than $50. By plugging it into your TV, you can share YouTube videos or Netflix or a variety of other media from your phone right to your TV.

There’s also a ton of cool smart watches out that can do lots of different things. While I’m old school and like to keep my watch simple, they are perfect for anyone who’s into tech. There’s a lot of cool fitness-based ones too. 

While this isn’t a gadget, I always think the perfect gift is a subscription to something online. Netflix and Hulu are perfect for movie and TV lovers. Music fans would definitely appreciate a subscription to Spotify or Google Music. While I haven’t tried it out, I’ve heard Oyster is the “Netflix for books.” It would be perfect for those that love their Kindles.

Happy Holidays techies, and I hope you get everything you wish for.

Sophie Kruse is a junior studying journalism. What’s on your Christmas list? Email her at sk139011@ohio.edu or tweet her at @kruseco.