Festivalgoers inspect flags placed along College Green during the 2011 International Street Fair. International student groups and nonprofit organizations put on the fair; it marks the end of International week. (Dustin Lennert | File Photo )

International Student Union to hold hearing to discuss potential impeachment of president

A letter was filed Monday calling for the impeachment of the International Student Union president. A hearing will take place Thursday where ISU general body members can share their thoughts on the allegations.

A letter was filed Monday to request the impeachment of International Student Union president, Phally Chroy.

The request for Chroy’s removal stated Chroy failed to “promote a sense of community among international students at Ohio University” and “facilitate discussions at all ISU-EXEC and ISU meetings.”

Ohio University’s ISU is an umbrella organization for 23 international organizations on campus. The executives in the union aim to serve the international community and promote cultural understanding between international and American students on campus.

The formal letter was signed solely by ISU marketing and public relations director, Olivia Raney, who is also a former photo editor for The Post.

“We needed someone to be the spokesperson, and it’s something the executives have been talking about for a while,” Raney said. “I just happened to be the lucky tribute.”

Raney said she initiated the impeachment in ISU’s last general board meeting Dec. 1. There will be a hearing on Thursday for ISU general body members to share opinions on the allegations against Chroy.

“It’s something the rest of the exec board members have been thinking about for a long time. They helped me draft the letter,” Raney said. “Part of the reason that we even wanted to do this in the first place was because some of our ISU organizations, under our umbrella organizations and individual general body members have expressed problems.”

Chroy has declined to comment.

Omar Kurdi, vice president of ISU said the organizations and members involved in the impeachment will remain anonymous until the hearing.

“It’s just sensitive because we still haven’t had the hearing yet,” Kurdi said. “If (the organizations) are revealed, people might approach them and that might alter the hearing.”

The executives of ISU are simply doing what they think is best for the organization, Raney said.

“I think it’s more serious and scary than it sounds. We’re such a big organization, we’re managing so many students,” Raney said. “We’re not professionals in any sense, and sometimes you just find that someone isn’t right for the position. Impeachment is just the formal way of saying this isn’t working out.”

@mini_fezz

mf736213@ohio.edu