Sports Column: Robert Griffin III experiences his inevitable ending in Washington

Robert Griffin III benched for Colt McCoy, likely is done as quarterback for the Washington Redskins

I’ll miss RG3.

Washington Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III, just two years removed from being the NFL’s offensive Rookie of the Year, was benched last week seemingly presenting the end of the Griffin era in Washington.

My oh my, what a 30 for 30 story we just saw play itself out.

Dazzling Redskin fans and NFL fans alike during his rookie season in 2012, Griffin literally and figuratively singlehandedly ran away with the NFC East Division Title. However, on Jan. 7, 2013, RG3 crumbled to the turf at FedEx Field and didn’t get up again. He had torn his LCL and ACL.

That was the day Redskins history changed forever.

After questionably giving up five picks over three years for Griffin — all in the first three rounds — Washington likely will look to salvage what it can by way of a trade for a mid-round draft pick for Griffin.

Whether Griffin is done in Washington or not, the entire league should feel for the fallen quarterback. He’s quite simply the best that never was.

People seem to forget that Griffin was better than first-overall pick Andrew Luck in 2012, although that comparison seems laughable now. Both led their teams to the playoffs their rookie seasons, but Griffin did it with much less. The Redskins’ roster, largely remaining the same since that 2012 season, has gone 6-22 in the two seasons after Griffin’s injury.

After his rookie season, the line was unable to block for him, leading to Griffin taking cringe worthy sacks and hits weekly. The former Shanahan coaching staff seemed to turn on him, and he began to deteriorate.

RG3’s confidence and health were ruined by the Washington Redskins.

A local radio station “buried” Griffin after his poor performance against the Buccaneers this season, getting a casket filled with memorabilia and jerseys to literally nail the coffin shut on his Redskins career.

Well-known national media sites chopped a Griffin postgame press conference this season to make it look like he was blaming teammates for a loss, when he repeatedly blamed himself. He even was blamed for the Redskins struggles because he ate his pregame meal in the locker room — seriously.

After his injury in 2013, NFL fans waiting for him to fail created tasteless jokes and memes of him lying on the ground in agony.

He never had a chance.

As a fan, I for one think he should still be playing, but can only watch helplessly. So the only thing I am qualified to do is wish Griffin a bright future, and hope for the best for him. Washington, D.C., and the national media ripped apart the pieces of RG3 that weren’t ripped apart by FedEx Field’s turf. I watched, and will continue to do so, as the fanbase turns against him.

The Redskins problems will continue with the likely departure of Griffin this offseason, as the team has an offensive line that cannot block, a defense with a phobia of tackling and a town ready to jump on the next poor soul to join the team with any expectations.

Washington has the worst owner in professional sports, Dan Snyder, and will continue to fail under his cancerous leadership. The team refuses to hire a football-minded general manager, instead hiring “yes men” to follow and execute Snyder’s leadership.

Griffin was just a piece of the Redskins dysfunction, but the lasting image of Griffin’s Redskins and possible NFL career will be the image of him on the turf, unable to move due to his knee injury. The image represented helplessness, which is unfortunately where Griffin stands today.

Andrew Gillis is a freshman studying journalism and is a sports writer for The Post. What are your opinions on Robert Griffin III? Let him know @AGill072 and ag079513@ohio.edu.