Baker University Center is a centralized location for students to grab a bite to eat or seek support from one of the many services available there. (KATIE KLANN | PHOTO EDITOR)

State funding for tech heading to Ohio University, Athens

The Ohio Controlling Board approved several requests for funding on Monday, including some funds for Ohio University and an Athens-based organization.

Ohio University and an Athens-based organization are slated to receive tens of thousands of dollars in state funding to finance a number of job-related projects in Southeast Ohio, state officials have said.

The state Controlling Board approved the funds at its Monday meeting, said Ohio Rep. Debbie Phillips, D-Albany.

The board approved about $90,000 to OU for a mass spectrometer and $75,000 to the Athens-based East Central Ohio Tech Angel Fund for technological start-ups, according to the board’s agenda from the meeting.

A mass spectrometer is a tool used for research in chemistry, biotechnology and life sciences, according to the press release. In addition to state money, OU received funding from the National Science Fund for the spectrometer.

Phillips said that the board also approved funding for upgrades in Morton Hall and the Central Classroom Building.

Separately, the tech fund will match its new state funding with nearly $1 million in spending on its programs.

“OU and our local high-tech businesses are leading the way when it comes to innovations that will create advanced technology jobs in Southeast Ohio,” said Phillips in a news release. “When we continue to foster the link between the high-quality research conducted at our universities and our local entrepreneurs and start-ups, we pave the way for sustainable growth in a developing sector of our local economy.”

The state Controlling Board includes members from both the state House of Representatives and the Ohio Senate. It is responsible for approving or denying funds to universities and organizations when they request funds from the state.

At the same meeting, the board was slated to allocate funds to the University of Akron, Cuyahoga Community College, Ohio State University, the University of Toledo and Youngstown State University.

Phillips said she is not on the board.

@wtperkins

wp198712@ohio.edu