Broccoli Samurai

Broccoli Samurai, Love Alive and Somadose & Tiz will take over Casa Nueva Saturday night

Broccoli Samurai, Love Alive and Somadose & Tiz will perform at Casa Nueva Saturday night. 

Casa Nueva, 6 W. State St., will be filled with the eclectic sounds of jamtronica, psychedelic rock ‘n’ roll and electronic music as three bands take to its stage Saturday night.

Somadose & Tiz is a producer combo that plays electronically composed music, Love Alive is a modern psychedelic rock group with an old school twist and Broccoli Samurai performs a mixture of funk and electronic, said Ryan Miller, founder of A-Town Roots, which organized the evening of performances.

“We’re a grassroots organization that aims to heavily promote local artists and musicians around the Athens area by throwing these shows around the area and up in Columbus,” Miller said. “A month ago, we started the series in Columbus called UpRooted that features at least one Athens-born or Athens-based band.”

David Lurie, singer and guitarist for Love Alive, which is based out of Columbus, said he appreciates the Athens music scene and audience for being so welcoming and passionate about the music.

“Athens has become a second home to us,” he said.

Lurie said the group plans on playing its new original material as well as covers of its major influences, such as Jimi Hendrix and James Brown.

Broccoli Samurai is based out of Cleveland, but Chris Walker, who plays drums for the band, has been to Athens several times and has familial relations to students at Ohio University.

For this weekend’s performance, OU alumnus Sam Terkel will join Broccoli Samurai on stage as a guest guitarist. Walker said he has thoroughly enjoyed having Terkel collaborate with the group and raved about his skills.

With its newest album in the final stages, Walker said Broccoli Samurai will be playing a lot of new material Saturday, something he said he is very excited for.

“It’s like being on stage for the first time when you get to play new songs,” he said. “Everything is so fresh … Also, it’s a college market so we get to try out some other stuff. … A lot of times we play cities and don’t necessarily hit the college markets. It’s always nice to try new songs in different markets and see the response.”

Walker said the new album, which is still untitled, should be available in the summer. Love Alive just released its first EP in October 2014. Both bands have music available on SoundCloud.

Love Alive will take the stage first at 10 p.m., Broccoli Samurai will follow at 11:30 p.m. and Somadose & Tiz will close out the evening at 1 a.m.

To find out more about ColorDance Festival, visit ATownRoots: http://atownroots.com/

Check out Broccoli Samurai's albums herehttps://soundcloud.com/broccoli-samurai

Check out Love Alive's albums herehttps://soundcloud.com/lovealivemusic

@buzzlightmeryl

mg986611@ohio.edu