Campus Chatter

Campus Chatter: Why Studying Abroad Is Overrated

“Wow, you’re going to be away for so long,” I said as I sadly watched one of my best friends pack up for her semester in Spain.

She said she was nervous about the change, but couldn’t wait to fully immerse herself in the culture and language.

My friend told me about her plans, goals and fears for her adventurous semester abroad. And while I was filled with sadness at the thought of her moving away for five months, I have to admit: I wasn’t envious.

When I graduated from high school, I had certain expectations for my four years of college: experience the dorm life, get involved on campus, land that dream internship and find a solid group of friends.

For me, studying abroad was never a high priority. Despite constant urging from my mother to “take advantage of the once-in-a-lifetime chance” to spend a semester abroad, I simply never had the desire to uproot myself and study in another country.

As I prepare to graduate, I find that more and more of my friends and family members ask me if I regret my decision to intern and take courses on campus instead of going abroad. And I always find myself giving the same answer: no. Contrary to popular belief, opting out of studying abroad didn’t take away from my college experience.

This isn’t to say that experiencing and exploring other countries and cultures isn’t important. I’ve traveled abroad before, and while I cherished the three weeks I spent exploring new cultures, I was more than ready to come home by the end of the trip. Spending time in a different country is an invaluable experience but that does not mean studying abroad for semesters at a time is for everyone.

“I’ve never considered studying abroad because it doesn’t apply to anything I want to do with my major,” Kyle Johnson, a sophomore studying middle childhood education, said. “It’d be cool but I can’t imagine giving up a semester.”

Other Ohio University students agree.

“I didn’t want to lose a whole semester in Athens when languages and cultures have nothing to do with my major,” Carly Sherer, a senior studying health services administration, said. “I can always travel when I finish school.”

The point is, spending a semester abroad does not necessarily make or break a college experience. I’m happy OU and other colleges offer study abroad options for students who want to travel and experience life in a different country, but there will always be other opportunities to travel post-graduation.

Students shouldn’t feel “incomplete” (maybe “unaccomplished?”) for choosing to stay on campus all four years.

Maria Fischer is a junior studying journalism. Email her at mf628211@ohio.edu