Pat Kelly

Editorial: Students should follow the Kelly case as it develops

The Post urges readers to follow the Pat Kelly trial as it develops.

There’s a certain level of expectations that come with being the sheriff of a county. Protecting and serving is important; truthfulness is key; and integrity is a no-brainer. In Athens County, the sheriff is representing about 64,000 people within a 503.6 square-mile radius.

The current case against suspended Sheriff Pat Kelly began yesterday, and it’s important for students to follow along with his court case. Any and every public official should be held to a high standard, and the sheriff is no exception.

Kelly represented every student, administrator, faculty member and resident of the county, so there is no reason why seats should be left empty in the courtroom, or why you should scratch your head when asked, “Who is Pat Kelly?”

In case you’ve fallen victim to said question, we’re here to enlighten you on the current whereabouts of your suspended sheriff and bring you up to speed.

On Jan. 31, 2014, Kelly, 63, was indicted on 25 criminal charges, two of which were felonious, while two are misdemeanors. Among others, his charges include theft in office, money laundering and perjury. He pleaded not guilty on Feb. 10, 2014, and was placed on a recognizance bond, meaning he wouldn’t have to be incarcerated if he attends all his court hearings.

While Kelly was at home, not being incarcerated, interim sheriff Rodney Smith took over at the Sheriff’s Office.

Follow the case.

Whether you were here when Kelly was in charge or not, you should play attention. Hold public officials accountable — even if it means watching a trial that could put one behind bars.

Editorials represent the majority opinion of The Post's executive editors: editor-in-chief Jim Ryan, managing editor Sara Jerde, opinion editor Xander Zellner and projects editor Allan Smith. Post editorials are independent of the publication's news coverage.