Manitoa performs at the benefit show for the businesses affected by the Union Street fire at Club Underground, a new venue located in Red Brick Tavern's basement, on November 21, 2014. 

New member leads to new experience for Athens music scene vets Manitoa

Manitoa, local Rocktronica band, has a new face in the band and is ready take the stage at Jackie O’s Friday.

Manitoa, although a familiar player in the Athens music scene, will perform with a new face in the band this weekend.

With a new guitarist, local Rocktronica band Manitoa is set to play its first Athens gig of the year Friday night at Jackie O’s Pub & Brewery, 24 W. Union St.

Check out Jackie O's calendar here: http://jackieos.com/brewpub/events-calendar/

“We chose this weekend specifically to play because we knew it was the first weekend after the first week of classes,” said Collin Lesko, keyboard player of the group. “Usually, from experience, that’s the best time and the most energy people have. It’s the time they want to go out before buckling down in classes.”

With influences from Red Hot Chili Peppers to Motown and everything in-between, Manitoa tries to provide not just a show, but a feeling of being on the journey of life, experiencing both high and low points, Lesko said.

“You can expect a lot of high energy and also at the same time some moments of tranquility and down-tempo styles,” Lesko said. “We try to mix the two. We don’t want to remain stagnant in our energy.”

After playing a few shows at the start of the year outside the Athens area, the group is working on adapting its sound and finding what fits right with the changes in the group, Lesko said. Joe Etgen, guitarist of the group Boomslang, is filling in while Eric Turner takes a hiatus.

“This (music) is a lot more electronic driven,” Etgen said. “My other band (Boomslang) was more of a traditional jam band.”

Having a new member temporarily in the band allows them to take a different approach to and provide a fresh interpretation on the current music, Lesko said.

“We’re just going through all the material and finding what (Egten) is really comfortable with and what speaks to him,” Lesko said. “That’s really what matters the most at this point.”

Manitoa tries to perform for all the senses, including different elements such as dancers or lasers, said DJ Reber, the drummer of the group.  Aside from dancers and hula-hoopers, Manitoa has brought live painters to a few of its past shows. Lesko said the band likes to see the painters interpret the music, gain inspiration and channel it onto the canvas.

Lesko said even though they have played in Athens for a good amount of their career, it’ll be a new experience for both band members and the audience to have a new addition.

“We are excited to play in front of our hometown, especially with Joe,” Reber said. “I don’t think anyone in Athens has seen us play with Joe.”

To find more about Manitoa, click here:http://manitoa.com/

@lizb143

eb823313@ohio.edu