Spring Semester Acts

New set of acts to take MemAud stage during Spring Semester

During spring semester, the Performing Arts and Concert Series will bring in a variety acts from comedy to rap to country music.

The calendar for Spring Semester’s performances, some announced over winter break, is filling up and includes a comedy show, concerts and musicals.

“I think (this semester) will be a big hit,” said Joey Nodianos, a freshman studying music education. “There’s a variety of people coming and I think most people can relate to at least one of those (performers).”

Joe Nichols

Joe Nichols, a country singer, is first in the lineup to take the stage at Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium on Jan. 31 as part of the Performing Arts and Concert series. Nichols is known for his first number one single from the early 2000’s “Brokenheartsville.” He continued his popularity in music with his hit, “Tequila Makes Her Clothes Fall Off.”

Nichols has released eight albums and toured alongside Alan Jackson and Toby Keith. He still has a place on country radio today with his newer hits “Sunny and 75” and “Yeah.”

Aidy Bryant

Also part of the Performing Arts and Concert Series, Saturday Night Live comedian Aidy Bryant and guest to be announced will take over the MemAud stage during Sibs Weekend on Feb. 6. Leslie Jones, another member of SNL, was scheduled for the performance but has since cancelled.

“I like Saturday Night Live so I think that would be really cool show to go to,” said Alyssa Stegmaier, a freshman studying theatre.

Bryant has been apart of SNL for two years and played a variety of recurring characters, such as “Morgan” in the sketch “Girlfriends Talk Show” and “The Worst Lady on the Airplane” on Weekend Update.

Waka Flocka Flame

Comedy won’t be the only bonding experience during Sibs Weekend. The Black Student Cultural Programming Board is bringing Juaquin Malphurs, more commonly known as Waka Flocka Flame, a Southern rapper, to the MemAud stage during Sibs Weekend, Feb. 7.

Waka Flocka Flame made a name for himself in 2009 with his single “O Let’s Do It” made it onto the US Billboard Hot 100 chart. He now has four studio albums and has collaborated with Ferrari Boyz and Big Money Talk.

Performances

Upcoming performances in the Performing Arts and Concert Series also include a variety of shows from the female a cappella trio, Voice, to musicals such as Memphis and It Gets Better.

It Gets Better is based on a video from 2010 posted on the Internet, which offered hope to people dealing with their sexuality. The performance will take place in MemAud on Feb. 12 and contains a message of optimism mixed with the musical talent of The Gay Men’s Chorus of Los Angeles.

“It’s about stuff that’s really important in society today about coming out,” said Russell Bidish, a freshman studying theatre. “I am not gay, but my brother is. He has really struggled with coming out to our parents. I really want to show him the musical when it comes here.”

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="dc3b7252-99fd-11e4-8ea5-0f52f729d2fa"}}

@lizb143

eb823313@ohio.edu